Electric motor recommendations

spalms

Hi and welcome to the site.

There are 4.7 mtr boats and then there's 4.7mtr boats, is it a tinnie or a heavy glass or something in between ?.

Most would say the Minn Kota of various forms would be what you want. I have a OLD Motorguide bow mount which I had on a Quintrex 4.9 jon boat that done everything I wanted it to. I now have it on a 4.3 Brooker and it still does well, but it's around 20 years old now.

I just bought a Watersnake to fit on a 13 ft Dehaveland which is down Bermagui and the motor will be added on Monday when I go down.

A bit more info and I'm sure members here will suggest what best will fit your needs.

Frank

Yeah thanks guys information is a great help. Plenty of research to do now.

I've got a 4.7mtr quintrex bowrider, so only fair light weight unit. Have watch other boats handle strong currents with these electric motors & it looks the smart way to go!

Will look into the mounting format & possibly seek a professional to install 

Many thanks 

Don't be talked into buying a quick release bracket IF you don't need one. By this I mean IF you store your boat in a secure location Garage behind fence etc . The quick release brackets are very good IF you need to remove the motor for any reason often. It's extra money that may not be needed.

Frank

Hi Spalms

I don`t think you would need anything bigger then a 55lb electric.

I like Motorguide  so I would suggest a 55lb Xi5 but Minn kotas are also popular.

I know of people with 55lb electrics on boats up to 5metres and they have no trouble anchor locking in strong current.

cheers

either Motor Guide or Minn Kota. You will need a 60" shaft so if you want to stick with a 12v motor (1 battery for the electric) i would go a 55lb with a 60" shaft.

I have a 4.8m boat and im running a motor guide  80lb with a 60" shaft but being 80lb its a 24v motor meaning you need 2 batteries to run it.