Narrabeen Lakes flathead

LuckyFil

I was keen to get out of the house this arvo for a little exercise and change of scenery after another dull weather day (luckily fishing is allowed). So I grabbed the flick stick, a few SPs and headed to my side of the lake (south side). As another Raider said a couple of days ago (Whiting and more whiting) the lake is now open following the heavy rain we had a few nights back and the water looks like a strong cup of coffee, but as soon as I started wading out to knee deep water there were plenty of small mullet moving about ahead of me which I took as a good sign.

After half a dozen casts I had a bump on the lure but he missed the hook. A couple of casts later as I lifted the plastic up near the surface only a couple of meters from the rod tip I saw a flash as a fish raced across and hit the lure almost on the surface. I thought it may be a flathead but it took off very fast pulling drag and broke the surface about 8 meters away and sure enough a good sized flattie shook his head wildly trying to throw the hook. It was an aggressive strike and the fight was the same racing around in the shallows often taking line. I took my time and kept the rod low but the fish thrashed the surface several times - funny how some flathead come in like a bag of sand and others turn it on. I eventually dragged him over the weeds onto the bank. He went 54cm, a nice start after only 5 minutes fishing.

I kept wading the shoreline and lifted the lure after a few twitches to feel solid weight , I struck and set the hook and the fish took off again racing around the shallows into and out of weed clumps making it hard to retrieve much line with the light 8lb leader. I was very glad I'd retied my leader after the last fish left some abrasions as this was another good one taking plenty of runs and thrashing the surface - I've rarely seen flathead do that so many times. This one went 55cm so I had two good meals for the home table after just 20 minutes fishing.

I got two much smaller but equally aggressive fish over the next few minutes and another one of about 38cm but was happy to see them all go back, having only expected to get some air and stretch my legs but ended up with two nice fish. Hopefully a good sign for 2021!

Cheers

Fil

IMG_3864.JPG.9cb72b563dad68a17a789f1284b98916.JPG

• Like 5

59 minutes ago, LuckyFil said:

I was keen to get out of the house this arvo for a little exercise and change of scenery after another dull weather day (luckily fishing is allowed). So I grabbed the flick stick, a few SPs and headed to my side of the lake (south side). As another Raider said a couple of days ago (Whiting and more whiting) the lake is now open following the heavy rain we had a few nights back and the water looks like a strong cup of coffee, but as soon as I started wading out to knee deep water there were plenty of small mullet moving about ahead of me which I took as a good sign.

After half a dozen casts I had a bump on the lure but he missed the hook. A couple of casts later as I lifted the plastic up near the surface only a couple of meters from the rod tip I saw a flash as a fish raced across and hit the lure almost on the surface. I thought it may be a flathead but it took off very fast pulling drag and broke the surface about 8 meters away and sure enough a good sized flattie shook his head wildly trying to throw the hook. It was an aggressive strike and the fight was the same racing around in the shallows often taking line. I took my time and kept the rod low but the fish thrashed the surface several times - funny how some flathead come in like a bag of sand and others turn it on. I eventually dragged him over the weeds onto the bank. He went 54cm, a nice start after only 5 minutes fishing.

I kept wading the shoreline and lifted the lure after a few twitches to feel solid weight , I struck and set the hook and the fish took off again racing around the shallows into and out of weed clumps making it hard to retrieve much line with the light 8lb leader. I was very glad I'd retied my leader after the last fish left some abrasions as this was another good one taking plenty of runs and thrashing the surface - I've rarely seen flathead do that so many times. This one went 55cm so I had two good meals for the home table after just 20 minutes fishing.

I got two much smaller but equally aggressive fish over the next few minutes and another one of about 38cm but was happy to see them all go back, having only expected to get some air and stretch my legs but ended up with two nice fish. Hopefully a good sign for 2021!

Cheers

Fil

IMG_3864.JPG.9cb72b563dad68a17a789f1284b98916.JPG

The opening has really turned the fishing up a notch the last few days. Now it's been a couple of days and more importantly tides since opening things will probably settle down and go back to it's normal fishing the drop off's and eddy's.

BTW nice couple of fish. Love the color, they are almost black especially the one on the left.

Edited by Renegade460
  • Like 1

Nice fish there Fil. Sometimes flatties go like a bag of shite, other times, and especially in the shallows, they put up a performance. Have had a couple actually fly out of the water like a mini marlin, shaking that head and taking line.

• Like 1