Bluetooth sensors to monitor health of dual battery setup on boat- your thoughts?

richard2234

In the absence of installing a hardwired monitoring system, I'm looking to install one of those bluetooth monitoring systems that can provide me with battery health information (voltage, charging, current flow, etc) and alerts while out on the water. Does anyone have any experience with these and can recommend a good quality solution?  

Any pro's and cons between hardwire and bluetooth solutions?

I'm assuming that with a dual battery setup I will need to purchase two of these bluetooth sensor systems to avoid having to swap across to each battery when I wish to get information on each battery, is that right?  

• 5 weeks later...
On 1/7/2021 at 9:37 AM, richard2234 said:

In the absence of installing a hardwired monitoring system, I'm looking to install one of those bluetooth monitoring systems that can provide me with battery health information (voltage, charging, current flow, etc) and alerts while out on the water. Does anyone have any experience with these and can recommend a good quality solution?  

I'm assuming that with a dual battery setup I will need to purchase two of these bluetooth sensor systems to avoid having to swap across to each battery when I wish to get information on each battery, is that right?  

I just have 2 voltmeters connected after the isolator switch for each battery.  Not sure about a blue tooth one, might be overcomplicating it a bit.  Why do you need current flow etc

On 1/7/2021 at 10:37 AM, richard2234 said:

What ones have you looked at & do you have a budget in mind??

I have a Victron MPPT solar controller in my 4x4 dual battery system lets me know what is happening with the state of charge incoming & outgoing charge etc.

They also do a stand alone monitor called a smartshunt that could interest you.

https://www.victronenergy.com/battery-monitors/smart-battery-shunt#pd-nav-video

On 1/7/2021 at 10:37 AM, richard2234 said:

As KC sad above there are systems that will do whatever you dream of. You are going to have to hardwire in a Bluetooth monitor system to each of your batteries .
Then you better hardwire in something to keep your phone/tablet device charged to read the Bluetooth signal. 
Now that’s 3 devices that need to be hardwired. 

Or you can hardwire 1 or 2 volt meters that tells you the state of the battery ( or batteries) that are online. 

it comes down to what are you most concerned about??

Cheers Zoran 

ps - I have 1 volt meter on my dash that tells me the voltage state of the battery(ies) I have online. If the voltage drops below 11v When cranking the motor I know there is a battery problem. It also shows me the voltage when the motor is running  - if that is >13.6V I know my batteries are being charged. When motor is off I should see my batteries at 12-13v if they are healthy. 

Edited by zmk1962
  • Like 1

Agree with Zoran, yes I think it comes down to the complexity of your system, what you are running & what you want/need it to do.

For a boat, could be a bit over kill depending on the size but then the thing I like about the victron products is you can look at the data in real time & record, download & email the data to be able to looked at later.

There is also the Victron BMV‑712 Smart Battery Monitor which uses the same shunt as I mentioned above but also gives you a physical gauge as well which really again depends on what the application is whether that is any better.

On monitoring the 2 batteries, inside the app I think it has the ability to monitor both batteries together but by inputting the total overall Ah available, but pretty sure thats for when you have a set up that runs in parallel which I would would be hesitant to set up that way in a boat as you always want to protect your starter imo.

So not sure on the 2 battery set up would be good for a boat but this is how one user set up the BMV-712 for his motor home set up.

19 hours ago, zmk1962 said:

As KC sad above there are systems that will do whatever you dream of. You are going to have to hardwire in a Bluetooth monitor system to each of your batteries .
Then you better hardwire in something to keep your phone/tablet device charged to read the Bluetooth signal. 
Now that’s 3 devices that need to be hardwired. 

Or you can hardwire 1 or 2 volt meters that tells you the state of the battery ( or batteries) that are online. 

it comes down to what are you most concerned about??

Cheers Zoran 

ps - I have 1 volt meter on my dash that tells me the voltage state of the battery(ies) I have online. If the voltage drops below 11v When cranking the motor I know there is a battery problem. It also shows me the voltage when the motor is running  - if that is >13.6V I know my batteries are being charged. When motor is off I should see my batteries at 12-13v if they are healthy. 

My FF and Chart plotter both have inbuilt volt meters and low-volt alarms can be set.

The more you complicate things, the harder it is to fault find.

How far do you want to go?  Serious battery systems monitor battery temperature too......

Is it really worth the $$ and confusion to understand what MAY be happening...  Zoran has nailed it,   Charge voltage and 'standing voltage'.

• Like 1