Lake Macquarie Trip

The Rev

Hi Fellow Raiders,

After a long summer with all the up downs of COVID-19 and being a part of the Northern Beaches lockdown over Christmas, I planned to take a week off in February at a mates house at Wangi Wangi for some RnR with the wife plus some fishing.  Two days I checked the weather report and it didn’t look good 😟.  That’s life though I thought and was determined to make the best of it.  The first days fishing was Friday 12th February in the afternoon chasing some squid. Ended up with 9 arrow squid that were the perfect sized for baits - so I had to tell my wife, apologies but no salt and pepper squid as they were being vacuum packed and frozen for Kingie baits for when I got back.  There were a lot of squid where I was fishing with the young guy and his girl friend bagging out with 40 squid in 2 hours!  We had a good chat while drifting close together and he was a local and uses them for Jewfish baits.

After taking Saturday as a day for surfing as the rest of week looked unsurfable with the forecast southlies - I went back out again today.  Weather forecast was strong southerlies 16-23 knots.  The good thing with Wangi Wangi is that there are 3 boat ramps on the south, east and northern sides of long spit that is the town - all within 1km of each other and 0.5km from where I am staying.  I headed out late after breakfast and saw a boat trying to get in at the southern boat ramp with 3 guys fighting against the wind and the surge. Sadly the wind and waves were too strong and the boat ended up being dragged over the rocks and was left beached at the ramp.  Why they had put the boat in there boggles belief given that the southern;y had blown for the past 20 hours and all the weather reports predicted that it would get stronger 🤔.  Very sad top see it sitting there though.  See below for the picture.

For this trip I have wanted to concentrate on lure fishing and bought some Samaki vibalicious lures in the 70mm & 100mm sizes.  I foisted the northern side of Wangi and landed one 36cm snapper and 3 flounder around 27-30cm.  All flounder were released and the snapper kept for eating.  Hoping to get out tomorrow if the wind drops down.  Not complaining though, just good to be away and out in God’s good creation!

theRev

66DCC5B3-3648-4CA4-8236-5E21110FDC7F.jpeg

• Like 4

Great report Rev. The weather has been pretty ordinary to say the least and I don’t think it’ll get much better this week. At least you’ve made the most of your time so far. A few flounder and a nice pannie will make for a good feed! Hope you get out again! 

cheers scratchie!!! 

1 hour ago, Scratchie said:

Great report Rev. The weather has been pretty ordinary to say the least and I don’t think it’ll get much better this week. At least you’ve made the most of your time so far. A few flounder and a nice pannie will make for a good feed! Hope you get out again! 

cheers scratchie!!! 

Thanks Scratchie - sure hoping to!  The good thing about the lake is that there are lots of places to hide out of the wind.

• Like 1

57 minutes ago, blaxland said:

Good to see squid a plenty I would still rather eat them than a lot of fish but each to their own. But snapper are top of the list or very close on the chew.

Squid are great to eat - but I think Kings are better!  So hopefully the wait pays off.