Fishing around Manly

BigHorse

Hey there, 

I'm heading down in the school holidays to Manly for some fishing and am wondering about the fishing. I have been looking around 

but haven't seen anything worth remembering. I'm hoping to get some guidance around spots and what to use around the Manly. I can do most types of fishings as in off wharfs and beach. I don't have a boat and don't particularly want to risk my life fishing off the rocks.

Any sort of help would be awesome!

BigHorse

I would stay well away from anywhere near Manly during school holidays. Head a bit further up the Beaches to either South Curl Curl (rock fishing) or further up to either Long Reef or Collaroy / Narrabeen beaches. Another option is flicking plastics around the edges of Narrabeen Lake.

Hi Bighorse, Renegade 460 has some good advice - Manly will be very busy with tourists. However Al Bellissimo is the only land based fishing guide in the area and a top bloke with lots of good info - you pay for it, but if he can’t get you onto fish, they are not there. I don’t work for free either. (You’ll also learn heaps to use in the future - A Good Investment I reckon).

Having said that, the rocks around Fairight  and 40 baskets beach (protected as inside, not ocean side) are good for flathead bream and blackfish, but weed for Ludderick will be a problem after the big wet. DerekD would be good to contact for land based around Sydney - a top bloke and very knowledgeable 

The beaches will be very busy, If you want to try go late afternoon. Also manly dam is worth trying if your interested in freshwater (carp, bass, refin). I would suggest early morning or evening to night if you want to go to the wharfs as they get very busy. Narabeen is awesome for leather jacket, got my first one there, prawns work well as well as pipies.

Edited by slothparade

6 hours ago, slothparade said:

The beaches will be very busy, If you want to try go late afternoon. Also manly dam is worth trying if your interested in freshwater (carp, bass, refin). I would suggest early morning or evening to night if you want to go to the wharfs as they get very busy. Narabeen is awesome for leather jacket, got my first one there, prawns work well as well as pipies.

Hey slothparade, just looking around the Narrabeen lagoon area and looks very fishy! I've read that flathead, bream, tailor and all the other bread and butter species are there. I'm guessing flicking some 3 inch berkley plastics will work fine for most of these species. Thanks ( just read also that NO fish are allowed to be taken from Narrabeen Lagoon area? Can someone please confirm?)

Edited by BigHorse

27 minutes ago, BigHorse said:

Hey slothparade, just looking around the Narrabeen lagoon area and looks very fishy! I've read that flathead, bream, tailor and all the other bread and butter species are there. I'm guessing flicking some 3 inch berkley plastics will work fine for most of these species. Thanks ( just read also that NO fish are allowed to be taken from Narrabeen Lagoon area? Can someone please confirm?)

Yep, nothing to be taken - NSW DPI released the statement today 1/4/2021. It has something to do with preserving mud marlin population in the lagoon.

• Haha 1