Rats on poddies

jenno64

I've always tried to get out on the water on Good Friday and had a window of a few hours after lunch. Decided to head up the Hacking and collected a few good sized poddies then headed all the way up to the Audley weir bouncing poddies on the bottom back downstream in the hope of a flatty or two. Water was  pretty coloured up that far.  Not a touch in a kilometre of drifting so headed around to the deeper water off Lilli Pilli and was slammed by a 58cm rat that went pretty hard. Speared it back in and headed home stopping for a 5 minute troll and another rat about the same size came on board (note the size of the poddy in the net). Beautiful arvo out and good to at least see some action. Lucky I had a couple of lobsters in the fridge ready for a Good Friday dinner!

IMG_8470 (2).jpg

IMG_8473 (2).jpg

IMG_8474 (2).jpg

IMG_8475 (2).jpg

• Like 6

Sounds like you gave it a good try, but no flatties. Some fish will have been washed out, or hiding in deeper water. (11 inches of rain at my place from the rain event, nothing like the Hawkesbury though)

The bigger flatties may come back, maybe not until spring, only way is to keep trying. Kingies not big enough to keep, but big enough to make the reel buzz. Always another day.

Not bad mate, better than nothing water clarity still no good, I’m up Nelson bay, the bay is very dirty, so off to Stockton beach now with the family for a flick, hopefully some flatys sitting in the gutters, if not off to the co-op AGAIN! 

Happy easter!

21 hours ago, jenno64 said:

I've always tried to get out on the water on Good Friday and had a window of a few hours after lunch. Decided to head up the Hacking and collected a few good sized poddies then headed all the way up to the Audley weir bouncing poddies on the bottom back downstream in the hope of a flatty or two. Water was  pretty coloured up that far.  Not a touch in a kilometre of drifting so headed around to the deeper water off Lilli Pilli and was slammed by a 58cm rat that went pretty hard. Speared it back in and headed home stopping for a 5 minute troll and another rat about the same size came on board (note the size of the poddy in the net). Beautiful arvo out and good to at least see some action. Lucky I had a couple of lobsters in the fridge ready for a Good Friday dinner!

IMG_8470 (2).jpg

IMG_8473 (2).jpg

IMG_8474 (2).jpg

IMG_8475 (2).jpg

Good work Jenni, kingies are alot of fun at any size. Beautiful day to be out and about.

On 4/2/2021 at 10:30 PM, Yowie said:

Sounds like you gave it a good try, but no flatties. Some fish will have been washed out, or hiding in deeper water. (11 inches of rain at my place from the rain event, nothing like the Hawkesbury though)

The bigger flatties may come back, maybe not until spring, only way is to keep trying. Kingies not big enough to keep, but big enough to make the reel buzz. Always another day.

Yowie I haven't caught a decent flatty since 2020! I'm still trying to work out the Hacking and most trips have been in gentlemen's hours or during high traffic. I'll give it another crack after Easter while I'm on hols:)

On 4/3/2021 at 7:45 AM, Ribs said:

Not bad mate, better than nothing water clarity still no good, I’m up Nelson bay, the bay is very dirty, so off to Stockton beach now with the family for a flick, hopefully some flatys sitting in the gutters, if not off to the co-op AGAIN! 

Happy easter!

Might be right Ribs, some of the big flatties might be out on the beaches! Good luck up at Stockton!

13 hours ago, kingie chaser said:

At least you got out & ended up getting a bend in the rod :thumbup:

Kingy, it was magical to be out on the water and the scream of the reel was a bonus:)

1 hour ago, jenno64 said:

Yowie I haven't caught a decent flatty since 2020! I'm still trying to work out the Hacking and most trips have been in gentlemen's hours or during high traffic. I'll give it another crack after Easter while I'm on hols:)

I don't specifically target the bigger flatties, but they turn up in the deeper water from time to time. When I fish the deeper water, it is for whatever grabs the bait.

I have not pulled out a bigger flattie this year so far, and don't remember too many last year.

I have seen some good size ones in the main channel from Lilli Pilli down to Burraneer over the years, and a fisho friend, now long departed, used to target the bigger ones along the channel and also towards Gunnamatta. It was a hit and miss for him, some days none at all. His best was 12 pound, and dropped one boatside he estimated at 15 pound - hook pulled out.

I have seen the bigger ones just sitting on top of the sand, not buried at all. Suppose there is nothing to hide from at those sizes.

Dave.