Jump to content

External power plug - what's the best?


Recommended Posts

Hi all, I'm the proud owner of a trolling motor! Only one issue though...

The motor is mounted on a fabricated platform on my 1550 Fisher - it sits outside of the hull and the cables run through-hull. We had a socket put in but it's not waterproof / sealed. 

Has anyone got an external plug and receptacle on the outside of their boat that they could recommend?




Link to comment
Share on other sites

Not sure if you are asking about a connection for the battery for the Electric OR if you are asking about a 240 volt connection so you can charge the battery ?.

With the cable running from battery to motor I use Anderson plugs . For extension for outside 240v power You can buy decent plugs from caravan parts  distributors, and best to have qualified electricians to install them.

Other than that a good heave duty extension lead does the job.


  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 hours ago, anthman said:

Oh sorry, I should've said: DC12V from the trolling motor to socket through-hull to battery.

It would have to support 40-50amps.

Is the connection inside the hull or outside??


Inside the hull Anderson could be the go but note they are not a 100% waterproof connection.


If I am fitting something that is going to be exposed its usually something like a Deutsch plug but I am not really sure how high there Amp rating goes?

I used a Deutsch plugs when fitting 450W light bar & HID spotlights to my 4x4 & they are outside the vehicle exposed to the elements. 

I know Andersons are used for external 12V connections to trailers etc but personally if using such a exposed connection I would be trying to make it a s waterproof as possible s well


I think being on the water I would apply the same kind of logic, anything that will inhibit moisture & salt ingress would be better in my eyes. 

Edited by kingie chaser
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Thanks all, I think the easiest and least corrosive method is to just run a cable that fits through a gap on the side to a terminating Anderson plug that I plug to the electrical system when in use (which is inside the hull).

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • 3 weeks later...


was reading up about this and will probably go for the Marinco trolling motor plug when i install mine on my boat.... but googling the folks in the states say this one is the S@%t and supposedly they one they all agree on to get


however hard to get as only seen these for sale in the states.






Edited by M1100S
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Create New...