Safety pins

Little_Flatty

Had a little tackle box which had a tangle of hooks in it and had been irritating me for years but somehow I never got around to tidying it.

An idea came up on my Pinterest feed a few weeks ago which involved using safety pins to organise the hooks. Finally got round to it this evening:

F13F9DB8-30CD-4678-8A4B-190A5698429A.thumb.jpeg.b3ee1c232dff2e19bcd038e0b3024237.jpeg
Thought it was quite a good idea, so figured I’d share it here. Could also apply to little swivels and the like. Also makes it easy to pick up small hooks which has become noticeably more difficult as I get older.

only issue is that the safety pins could corrode. But thought it worth a go.

• Like 7

9 hours ago, Little_Flatty said:

Had a little tackle box which had a tangle of hooks in it and had been irritating me for years but somehow I never got around to tidying it.

An idea came up on my Pinterest feed a few weeks ago which involved using safety pins to organise the hooks. Finally got round to it this evening:

F13F9DB8-30CD-4678-8A4B-190A5698429A.thumb.jpeg.b3ee1c232dff2e19bcd038e0b3024237.jpeg
Thought it was quite a good idea, so figured I’d share it here. Could also apply to little swivels and the like. Also makes it easy to pick up small hooks which has become noticeably more difficult as I get older.

only issue is that the safety pins could corrode. But thought it worth a go.

Fabbo idea to keep things in order @Little_Flatty    . Crafters use this idea for lots of things. I understand the worry re corrosion. 

For example in knitting we have stitch holders and we never want rust happening on a piece we are working on.

You can get these safety pin like items in plastic. Do a google search on "knitting stitch holders" 

See these below that are used for small and large jobs like holding wool colours or threads for crossstitching. You can also use one safety pin to hold all the other pins you get when you buy a supply.

Ask the ladies you know who do craft :) for a few handouts  

5f2a825e4e05641539655cad-5-large.jpgs-l1600.jpg

• Like 3
  • Thanks 2

Very good idea. I make similar to these with Stainless 0.8 M I G  wire for smaller hooks and snaps etc and from 1.8 316 T I G stainless filler wire for the larger hooks and stuff. Keeps the tackle box neat and tidy.

Thanks for showing the idea.

Frank

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, mrsswordfisherman said:

Fabbo idea to keep things in order @Little_Flatty    . Crafters use this idea for lots of things. I understand the worry re corrosion. 

For example in knitting we have stitch holders and we never want rust happening on a piece we are working on.

You can get these safety pin like items in plastic. Do a google search on "knitting stitch holders" 

See these below that are used for small and large jobs like holding wool colours or threads for crossstitching. You can also use one safety pin to hold all the other pins you get when you buy a supply.

Ask the ladies you know who do craft :) for a few handouts  

5f2a825e4e05641539655cad-5-large.jpgs-l1600.jpg

Mrs swordie that’s an even better idea! Looks like I’m following my wife on her next visit to the sewing shop :)

• Like 1

Great idea. Not only does it keep everything in order, it stops small hooks finding their way into other compartments when your tackle box bounces around in your backpack.

I generally leave hooks in their original packets but have been putting my swivels etc on large lure snaps for quite some time. The safety pin looks far easier to get things on and off than the snaps.

I just can’t believe this idea hasn’t become more widespread seeing as it has been floating quietly on the internet for who knows how long.

Imagine also the expansion of possibilities on this idea: the ‘Plano Pegboard’ comes to mind...you heard it here first! :D

• Like 1

Been around long before the Internet, my father used to do exactly that, then put the hooks in an old "hair oil" bottle and lines on cork, that was then put in a "sugar bag" tackle bag.

• Like 1

Used to do that way back. I find sometimes if you get a bit of salt water in the box without realising, it'll rust easily, and that just spreads onto the hooks and so forth. Now I just use a type of fly fishing box, where the hooks just fit the compartments and don't move out of its position. Also less chances of hooking myself