New setup advice? vanford/zodias

Berrero

Hey raiders,

I've been eyeing off the vanford reels and zodias rods for a while now for a new flatty setup - the 2500 and 2-4kg

I was thinking of finally purchasing it in the next week or so as a birthday present but as I started looking around I realised that it was a 2020 release and I had been eyeing them off for a bit longer than I had originally thought..

I'm still happy to get the setup but just thought I'd ask a few things here first, such as if you have it would you recommend, should I wait out another 6 months for any better releases in the new year, have you got a different flatty setup that you would recommend?, etc

It would be replacing my Stradic ci4 2500 and td zero 2-5kg so it's more like a sidestep rather than huge upgrade or anything, but my current setup is definitely starting to wear - the reel especially - have taken a lot of falls with that rod and reel in hand 🤣🤣 I take good care of the internals of all my reels, just lots of exterior damage, bail arm bent out of and back into place a few times, etc

Thanks for any advice, with such a big purchase I just thought I'd reach out beforehand just in case

Edited by Berrero

The Vanford's have been given several good write ups by the so called experts.

Wait till winter for the specials. Prices drop in winter even on the good gear.

Cheers.

Edited by Rebel
  • Like 1

Just adding to above,have a look at the 2021 Abu Garcia V4 spin rod range. Just released. I bought a beach rod, so strong and light.

They have a full range.Best to buy on xBay, they are the cheapest at the moment.

I have a aAbu Garcia Gen3 7'2''. Great rod.

Edited by Rebel
  • Like 1

Vanford should be considered an upgrade from your Stradic Ci4+. Its smoother and lighter and has a little more protection against water than the Stradic Ci4+. Its kind of an inbetween reel of the stradic Ci4+ and a Vanquish (reel not released by Shimano AU).

I just picked up a Legalis 2500D too - and it would seem I am slowly moving away from Shimano. It feels as good as my Stradic FL and maybe even my CI4+ but time will tell about longevity. It is certainly good value for money either way.

thought I had better touch base and give y'all an update

I ended up going with the vanford 2500 and zodias combo, a friend works for one of the big chains and managed to get me staff discount to knock a fair chunk off the cost. Decided to just go for it rather than waiting to see if they go on sale in the coming months.

Setup is an absolute pleasure to fish with, highly recommend. Noticeably lighter than my old ci4+/td zero setup, surprised even me.

Fishing has been a bit slow but managed to break it in with the first few decent fish in the past couple of days, a couple mid 30s bream and trevallies, great fun on 8lb

I guess the only notable thing is that I purchased the 7ft rod (and stamped 7ft) but it seems to only be around 6'6? I'm 6'1 and it's definitely not an entire foot taller than I am... Is this usual for rods being a bit shorter than what they are listed as? (It's not a huge issue but would prefer a rod closer to 7ft if possible)

Thanks again for advice & discussion 

• Like 1