Land based live bait rig

nutsaboutfishing

Not too sure about live baiting from the shore using sinkers, but just guessing, a paternoster setup with a long sinker dropper might be best, then maybe followed by a simple running sinker to a swivel. What sort of live bait for what type of fish using what type of gear from rocks/beach/jetty?

Depending on the terrain, but the most uncomplicated is a simple ball sinker above a bead (to stop sinker getting jammed on swivel knot when casting) and then swivel, then shortish leader of about 50-60cm then 2 snooded suicides.

If using Yellowtail as live bait and fishing around reef/kelp they will usually find something to swim around and create problems- OK if fishing on sand/mud though and best rig I've used and most simple for the target species to run off unimpeded by sinker weight. 

If you are fishing rough country/bottom then Mullet are a better choice as they don't swim around all the stuff on the bottom.

Edited by wazatherfisherman
spelling!
  • Like 5

To add to the above comments, if you're fishing clean bottom and need to get your bait out wide, consider slide baiting.

There's plenty to google about it and it's the best way to get a live bait "out the back" whilst keeping it in good condition.

• Like 2

4 hours ago, wazatherfisherman said:

Depending on the terrain, but the most uncomplicated is a simple ball sinker above a bead (to stop sinker getting jammed on swivel knot when casting) and then swivel, then shortish leader of about 50-60cm then 2 snooded suicides.

If using Yellowtail as live bait and fishing around reef/kelp they will usually find something to swim around and create problems- OK if fishing on sand/mud though and best rig I've used and most simple for the target species to run off unimpeded by sinker weight. 

If you are fishing rough country/bottom then Mullet are a better choice as they don't swim around all the stuff on the bottom.

Thanks Waza exactly what I needed!!

As others have stated. Using a ball sinker or using a 3 way sinker rig will work just fine. I have caught a lot of big flatties  and few salmon using this method.

But just be aware that using heavy sinkers will tire out the live bait quickly and quite often the quality big fish you want may be feeding on top water and not the bottom. 

Hello NutsAboutFishing

I fish sand flats, and when i cast my livebait (mullet), near a drop off,

i tend to get flathead, and kingfish. kingfish do come in shallow drop offs as they tend to be chasing whitebait etc.

being sandy areas (with weed patches) if find going light usually is ok, and you end up getting more bites. hence i use 15lb trace and 10to 12lb main line. 

the current can get a bit strong, so i use a ball sinker of about 100grams. however i flatten the ball sinker a bit with a hammer so it wont roll around (dont forget to put a nail in the sinker hole so you wont squash its hole).

in regards to the hook , i tend to use small hooks, just like light line stealth,   i find that small hooks are less visible to the fish. you will be surprised that they still hook up really well.  i use mustard viking 540 hooks size 8 to 1 and sometimes 1/0.  yes, even on very large mullet live baits.   some times i myself think to myself , hey is this too small,   but so far they have really worked for me. (i play the fish and don't put too much pressure on them)

In summary my rig for the sandflats near drop offs are light line, heavy flattened sinker so it wont roll into weebeds and small hooks , so as not to tire the live bait and not spook your target fish.

have the drag on light so as fish can take off.  have the rod in a holder, and dont make noise around the area you fish. (remember on sand flats , sounds travel )

• Like 1

Try a sliding live bait rig, will give you the chance to belt your sinker out to where you want without injuring your livebait with a big slab when it smacks the water. This rig allows you to keep your livie in prime condition and the ability to selectively cast where you want your bait to sit. 

Give it a go and let me know

• Like 1

I usually use light running sinker rigs (10g sinkers, size 4 hook) with a live herring. Caught and lost some big flathead doing this. I’m starting to experiment with slide baiting….the method that jamo mentioned in the comment above  

Hi,

You haven't mentioned a number of things:

• What exactly are you trying to catch?
  • Where exactly are you fishing? Ocean rocks? beach? In the estuary?
  • What sorts of live baits will  you be using? Species? Size?

I feel that if you could be a little more specific in your questions, your feedback will be a lot more useful.

KB