Port Stephens Snapper

Rummers

Hey Guys, 

First report in a little bit. 
Have headed out front of Port Stephens 3 times in the last week chasing snapper at a close in easily accessible reef. Won’t share it out of respect for the guy who showed it to me! 

Soft Plastics is what I am really trying to use at the moment and have had relative success with 1 day of zero fish and 3 fish spread over the other 2 sessions. 

love the blue pepper neon gulps! I am just casting ahead of my drift and slow retrieving the lure. 

have really struggled getting a drift going and unsure if it is my boat or just conditions not allowing it, but I’m sure once I figure it out my results will improve. 

Here is the smallest snapper of the few, tonight’s catch, not the best quality but you get the idea! 

232910AA-3282-419E-8B8E-A70DEC6F8EC2.jpeg

• Like 8

Stay with it Rummers, when I started targeting Kingies, I had 5 trips in a row and only boated one fish. If you’re struggling (don’t we all), flick Scratchie a pm, he’s the snapper guru of the Port.

• Thanks 1

9 hours ago, Pickles said:

Stay with it Rummers, when I started targeting Kingies, I had 5 trips in a row and only boated one fish. If you’re struggling (don’t we all), flick Scratchie a pm, he’s the snapper guru of the Port.

Cheers mate. I’m pretty motivated and lucky I live so close to a boat ramp to head out quickly on a whim! 

Geez kings sound like the final frontier for me 😂😂

Good stuff rummers! That’s actually a typical size snapper for this time of year. Keep working those plastics mate. Winter is usually just practice for when the big boys come out to play in Spring. Sorting out your drift is key to working an area! Keep up the good work 🤙

cheers scratchie!!! 

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Scratchie said:

Good stuff rummers! That’s actually a typical size snapper for this time of year. Keep working those plastics mate. Winter is usually just practice for when the big boys come out to play in Spring. Sorting out your drift is key to working an area! Keep up the good work 🤙

cheers scratchie!!! 

Sounds like I’m on the right track then! 

I’ll be getting plenty of practice in so hopefully can get the results as it warms up. Confidence out front in low light conditions is key for me I think. Can move to different (less accessible) grounds as that builds

1 hour ago, Rummers said:

Sounds like I’m on the right track then! 

I’ll be getting plenty of practice in so hopefully can get the results as it warms up. Confidence out front in low light conditions is key for me I think. Can move to different (less accessible) grounds as that builds

Don’t think the washes or around bommies  are where all the fish are found. 99% of all my fish are caught in open reef structure! Plenty of that type of structure in Port Stephens 

26 minutes ago, Scratchie said:

Don’t think the washes or around bommies  are where all the fish are found. 99% of all my fish are caught in open reef structure! Plenty of that type of structure in Port Stephens 

Thanks! I’ll have to find some of that structure and give it a go! 

shallow reefs or deep?