Luderick spots Lake Macquarie

craka

I mostly fished  Lucy’s break wall or the outlet at Eraring.

I would look around speers  point , Teralba , the esplanade and marmong point. Look for bridge pylons , finger wharves ,marinas and rock walls .

• Like 1

15 hours ago, XD351 said:

I mostly fished  Lucy’s break wall or the outlet at Eraring.

I would look around speers  point , Teralba , the esplanade and marmong point. Look for bridge pylons , finger wharves ,marinas and rock walls .

Cheers, I've heard Lucy's wall is pretty good, just a bit of a hike for me.  I had thought Eraring was closed at this time of year but a mate said that is only closed after 6pm to 6am of an evening.   Will try some of those.  Had a try on the western side of Bolton point over the weekend and didn't have any luck at all.

10 hours ago, BigHorse said:

Hey mate, not in the north or west of the lake but at the swansea channel if you go off the south walls past the bridge you can get some shore based ludrick. Look up Luke Hunters Fishing. 

good luck👍

Cheers. I look it up.

8 hours ago, Rebel said:

Welcome aboard.

Swansea chanel is the go.

Thanks.   Seems to be the consensus with the channel. I was just hoping to find some spots closer to where I lived. But may get down there if I have no luck up closer to my end of the lake.

Just had another look and on dpi website found some info. Said you could catch ludrock around spears point and at eleebana.

This booklet that i have on a link is a very useful bit of info that i used when i started fishing the lake.  good luck!👍

https://www.dpi.nsw.gov.au/__data/assets/pdf_file/0006/1254363/16379-Gofishing_LakeMacq2020.pdf

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

9 hours ago, rickmarlin62 said:

Ive seen them caught off the esplanade bout 150 mtrs from the cnr at stinky cnr warners bay  park at waterfront carpark an walk on path towards speersy

What's stinky corner in Warners bay, is it near the boatramp? 

20 hours ago, rickmarlin62 said:

Nth western corner  where footpath cycleway starts to go round to speers pt    below road      near traffic lights

Cheers, pretty sure I know where you mean now.    Why is it called Stinky corner though?

• 4 weeks later...

As I'm new to this, thought was best to try my luck at Lucy's wall. 

First tried low tide without any luck a couple weeks back. Went back following week for second time using weed collected week before this time around high tide.   Again no downs but old mate a bit over 5metres was having luck , who after seeing me have no luck for half hour or so asked me how old my bait was. Which after telling him one week came over to me and graciously gave me half of what was left of his cabbage. So thank you again of you are on here. 

With that I hooked one and dropped it as I was landing it, got busted off and miss hooked another.   So though didn't bring anything home it was good fun.

Went back the following day again around high tide, but no action.

And just went back today with weed and cabbage collected yesterday,  got one hookup but busted hook off and then something else that jumped out of the water and snapped me off but nothing else , whilst another guy fishing for luderick bagged out whilst I was there .   

Any further tips?

But wasn't a total luckless weekend , got two bream and silver trevally off the kayak yesterday within the lake.

Edited by craka
  • Like 2

Thanks for replies guys.

Been fishing with

Black Queen rod 8ft (I know a little on short side have a 10ft 6 waiting to be delivered).

Number 10 gamatsu pan hooks.

6.5 lb leader (about 2ft long)

Float weighted so only stem shown.

And been fishing about 6 to 8ft depth..

• 4 weeks later...

Hi Craka

You will definitely find it easier with a longer rod. Especially when the fish are in close and you need to lift them. I use a 12 foot rod. 

Apologies if this has been previously mentioned (haven’t read all the replies) but I much prefer to use centre pin reels which allow the bait to move naturally. 

A lot of people use Vaseline so the line floats.

In regards to depth that will vary pending on the fish. As Rick mentioned above have a look where other people have there float stoppers to get a feel for where the fish are.

Also fish where and when there is good water movement, I look for areas where rocks meet sand.

Hi Cracka,

If you're new to fishing for blackies, don't be too upset 'old-matey' next to you is getting more fish.

If he's my age it's quite likely he's been fishing for them for a lifetime.

See if you can see how he puts his weed on or since he gave you some of his weed you could probably ask his help!

Varying your depth can be important, the exact spot your fishing on a given tide can make the difference too.

If there is a bit of a eddy try to get your drift going into that.

We tend to 'plumb' how deep the water is and then come up a few feet as a starting point. Then move up/down a bit at a time as the tide changes and/or until you find the bite depth.

Part of the joy and challenge with blackies is how finicky they can be!

• Like 2