Port Hacking - snapper

Yowie

28 minutes ago, BigHorse said:

Nice fish there mate, well done!

sounds like your going back to the basics with the hand lines👍

I have been fishing with handlines since my young days, that was just a few years ago :074:. I also use a rod and reel. The blokes that only use rods don't know what they are missing when a good sized fish, or large ray, takes off like a rocket and burns your fingers. 🤣

• Like 4
  • Haha 1

53 minutes ago, Yowie said:

I have been fishing with handlines since my young days, that was just a few years ago :074:. I also use a rod and reel. The blokes that only use rods don't know what they are missing when a good sized fish, or large ray, takes off like a rocket and burns your fingers. 🤣

I learnt to fish with my old man using hand lines chasing snapper off the reefs from Broken Bay. I remember going to school the next day and proudly showing the line burns on my hands after a good day on the reds.

Fil 

• Like 1

A few years ago I fished all over the Hacking after rumours of big reds being around.  At midday I was about to give up when I saw 5 perfect arches show on my sounder next to a little ledge in sw arm.  Anchored at casting distance and flicked back 2 squid strip baits on 1kg pretest line. I had 2 hook ups within 15 minutes with 2 identical reds at 52cm.  Can't tell you how stoked I was to sight and target a sounder sighting and come up trumps.  Ron 

50 minutes ago, campr said:

A few years ago I fished all over the Hacking after rumours of big reds being around.  At midday I was about to give up when I saw 5 perfect arches show on my sounder next to a little ledge in sw arm.  Anchored at casting distance and flicked back 2 squid strip baits on 1kg pretest line. I had 2 hook ups within 15 minutes with 2 identical reds at 52cm.  Can't tell you how stoked I was to sight and target a sounder sighting and come up trumps.  Ron 

They are a nice size for the Hacking.

I don't have a sounder, so I fish where I think they will be. 😂

7 hours ago, JamoDamo said:

Very nice Snapper for the hacking Yowie! 

After lockdown i'm planning to go and give it a go with some baits for pelagics and whatever else I can catch!

Onya

Jamo

Thank you. The fishing should be picking up soon.

The big red is a Nice fish @yowie ! ... very nice for the Hacking 🙄. Infact it was so nice I zoooomed right in to check for some leftover fish shop paper wrap 😁...  but it looks like you did a fine job there 😇

Cheers Zoran 

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, zmk1962 said:

The big red is a Nice fish @yowie ! ... very nice for the Hacking 🙄. Infact it was so nice I zoooomed right in to check for some leftover fish shop paper wrap 😁...  but it looks like you did a fine job there 😇

Cheers Zoran 

Smart arse, no fish shop paper on that one. :074:

It was a surprise for up river, happy to catch it and very nice on the plate. One fillet was enough for my wife and myself, the other fillet to my son and his girlfriend.

• Haha 2

1 hour ago, jenno64 said:

Awesome fish from inside the port Yowie...and on a handline must have brought a grin from ear to ear:)

It certainly did. Seeing the red colour under the boat made me very happy.

On 8/30/2021 at 1:42 PM, puddlejumper said:

Mate thats a monster river reddie well done. Does anyone know if they get to anywhere near that size in middle harbour because all I can pull is undersize pinkie after pinkie.

Yeah they do get that size, back in autumn a guy I was fishing with at a local pontoon caught a 30cm one land based one day and the next day he caught a 50cm one land based in middle harbour, both on squid.

• Thanks 1