Boat catch for launching and retrieving

frankS

Hi all I have been asked for some photos of my boat catch by a member here and thought others that may not have seen the way I do it may also like to see it.

In my opinion it is the simplest way to launch a boat one up, even simpler with a driver in the car, launch and retrieve can be done within 1 minute with a bit of practice and timing ( 2up ) .

When you arrive at the ramp the catch would be in the hold position and winch cable done up tight. First thing is to release the safety chain.

catch.thumb.jpg.ea66c7206fa4747bf9fcbeb43ea07bc9.jpg

Then with the boat sloping down the ramp ready to launch you release tension and remove winch rope and allow boat to slide back so the catch now sits in position and holds boat steady.

catch6.thumb.jpg.3b4806130ac9eb8b4ff956d51119fcbe.jpg

You then take the spring from the swinging part of the clip , climb in boat start engine , and put in forward gear and nudge boat forward till you hear the swing part of the catch click, this means the catch has fallen down ( gravity ) and you simply back the boat off the trailer.

1153682199_catchrelaxed.thumb.jpg.69ee67e875ec1dbda2975fd07b7e3656.jpg

OK that's launching, now for putting the boat back on the trailer.

All you do is lift swing part of catch up , attach spring , and drive boat on till you hear distinct click , the boat will stay put, you switch motor off tilt up and climb out of boat , winch the boat up the next couple of inches and attach safety chain and boat is ready to tow. 

As you drive boat on, the hook part of the catch engages the swing part and slides down till it reaches the bottom of the hook then springs up to lock in position, you then back off the throttle and the boat will slide back 2 inches and catch and hold firm as in photo 2 .

catch3.thumb.jpg.e3fd8fd18c321459c607f9868d373f7f.jpgThis photo has winch hook on. Disregard this. as is photo above.

Some boats may need a bit of a shove IF it does not slide freely to engage catch.

All you need to remember is spring ON for putting boat on and spring OFF for boat off.

• Like 3

Back in 1997 was the first one of these I made and fitted. I am not saying I was the first to think of the idea of a boat catch but back then I didn't know of anyone making such a thing .

The professional ones are probably far superior to my slap happy style of catch , but I am yet to see one that is as easy as mine to operate

And way way cheaper .

Frank

• Like 1

12 hours ago, campr said:

Well done.  I have a bought version and love it but you have to be pretty precise with boat position for it to catch.  Yours looks much more forgiving.   Ron 

I don't want to criticize the professional built ones out there but you are right, the boat trailer has to be set up exactly  right with the boat coming up onto the post and catch within an inch or better for it to work.

With mine it is much more forgiving as you have about 5 inches of cross bar for the hook to catch in and if the boat is reasonably straight it will catch.

The only problem with mine is IF the boat refuses to slide that couple of inches back when you release the tension on the winch you need to manually push the boat back, but not many boats stick that well to a trailer when on the slope of a boat ramp.

Frank

29 minutes ago, Berleyguts said:

Looks great, Frank. I’ve been thinking of getting a boat catch for a while. The only thing that’s held me back has been my doubts about how the hell I’d climb down over the bow to get to the car! 😂😂

I'm still at the stage of thinking how will I fit through the windscreen. 

• Haha 3