Need A Good Fishing Spot

Tome

Hey all,

I love fishing and am only 16 and I need a good fishing spot close to Hurstville (preferably 30mins drive away max) (Cronulla, Botany or somewhere like those areas).

Wherever I go somewhere (Bundeena, Wollongong etc) I hardly catch anything.

I need a good place and the type of bait to be used there.

I will be fishing off land.

Any help will be appreciated.

Thanks all,

FISHING MANIAC

Hey all,

I love fishing and am only 16 and I need a good fishing spot close to Hurstville (preferably 30mins drive away max) (Cronulla, Botany or somewhere like those areas).

Wherever I go somewhere (Bundeena, Wollongong etc) I hardly catch anything.

I need a good place and the type of bait to be used there.

I will be fishing off land.

Any help will be appreciated.

Thanks all,

FISHING MANIAC

:1welcomeani: to the site , hook up with Chris aka crazyfisherdude and Mark aka Sharky they are keen as mustard and will help you out with your dilemma

Cheers Swordfisherman

Always keen to lend a hand.

My top 5 spots are as follows (Land based)

1. Oatley Park Great for spinning for a feed of flathead/Bream and whiting when there around.

2. Ramsgate for flathead whiting bream and flounder. Anywhere near the motor boat club is good if your spining plastics for flathead just keep walking until you locate a patch of flathead and keep working the area

until your satisfide that there no more lurking in the sand then move on again.

3.Im a sucker for Como bridge as theres heaps of diferent species on offer. Trevally Bream whiting blackfish

Flathead mullet and my favourite jewfish. The north side under the bridge is good if your spining plastics use big ones as it is deep and the current races through so work around the tide changes. When the current is too much work the sand/ mud bar to your left great for whiting and flathead. The southern side of como bridge is also good on the pilons jews hang around there from time too time. The marina is good for bream and whiting and Ive heard reports of leather jackets lately.

4.Its a bit of a drive but kernel has some fantastic land based spots Great near the hot water outlet,cast metal lures as far as you can along the pipe this will bring a mixed bag of trevs tailer salmon and if your lucky king fish.

5. I also like Captain cook bridge for a feed of squid. Its a great place to get live bait as well.

I hope this helps any questions just send me a pm. :thumbup:

Edited by Sharky

Good luck with the lads ,they are very capable fisherman and will help you with anything you need to know.

Nice work there Sharky helping a new fishraider as well :thumbup:

Cheers Swordfisherman

g'day maniac...

i am the crazy one...

sharky has pretty much covered the best land based spots around you as we tend to fish together a bit landbased so our fave spots are likely to be the same...

but ill chuck a few more in.

1. brighton beach - start around the entrance to the cooks river along the foreshore... cast soft plastics out onto the sand (if you fish with them) and do this all the way up past the novotel and up to around the nets and back... good for a feed of flatties.

2. brighton beach alternative - alternatively for bait go find yourself a nice sandy part of the beach and cast your baits as far as you possibly can (without injury) onto the sand flats (best baits being fresh prawns or bloodworms) and i can almost guarantee you a few whiting. i caught around 40 of the bastards from a boat there today of which only 2 were legal... the rest were 1cm under (legal being 27cms, make sure you dont break the law). awesome fun.

thats all i can think of right now but will post some other spots if they spring to mind...

good luck mate,

keep us informed

Thanks "the crazy one",

I will either try Como bridge or Brighton Beach.

What type of bait/lures would you use at Brighton, and also can you PM me the rigs you would use.

Thanks alot evryone for your help,

FISHING MANIAC

• 4 weeks later...

Hey,

Anyone fished at La Perouse???

I went today just to have a look and some blokes rod was bending like hell.

I waited to see what was caught and it was a baby shark (will post pic up soon).

So anyone know if this is a good spot and what can be caught there????

Thanks,

FISHING_MANIAC

Yeh i used to go spearing and octopus hunting around La Pa almost every weekend, ran into a few little baby PJs a few times, Saw a couple of Sea Horses once, that was amazing i had never seen them in real life before and a couple of Sting Rays, but over the years there seems to be less and less of these types of creatures there... this was on the restaurant/cafe side, i hear there is good fishing on the other side of the old jail..tried once off the bridge but no luck.

But the octopus were great, always a guaranteed feed, never forget the time i went into the water with no spear/knife and grabbed a good sized occy hiding under an old door that was in the water, snuck up on it quick and grabbed it before i lost it in the ink...the looks on the faces of the kids on the beach that day hahaha it wrapped around my whole upper arm/chest area as i walked out onto the beach, one little fella started crying coz he thought i was being attacked by it!

Guest BBM Rick

G'Day all, have been reading this board for a little while now and decided to register. The willingness to share a little knowledge and help out folks who share the same passion is what convinced me to be a part of this board. I too, am a frustrated landbased fisho who is always looking for a good spot, and someone to wet a line with. I really look forward to meeting a lot of you and catching (and releasing) a truckload of fish!! Good luck to you Maniac, I look forward to seeing how you go!

Rick.

G'Day all, have been reading this board for a little while now and decided to register. The willingness to share a little knowledge and help out folks who share the same passion is what convinced me to be a part of this board. I too, am a frustrated landbased fisho who is always looking for a good spot, and someone to wet a line with. I really look forward to meeting a lot of you and catching (and releasing) a truckload of fish!! Good luck to you Maniac, I look forward to seeing how you go!

Rick.

A big :1welcomeani: to you Rick. We hope you enjoy the forums and look forward to reading about your fishing adventures too. Take a look at our social weekend details, perhaps you would like to join us.

Click here!

Cheers mrsswordfisherman

Hey Rick,

With a little study and luck we could both catch a kingy this year!! Im landbased as well and seems like everyone can catch the mighty kingfish. Oh well, I remember a couple of years ago my dream was to catch a bream and I managed that. :biggrin2:

Welcome to the site Rick.

Paul

werent you?

Well yes you are 100% correct there crazedfisherdude - threw in the spearing and just now trying to get into proper fishing, its got more of an art/challenge to it.

Last time i went spearing i accidently shot a sting ray after chasing a flatty under a ledge, took a blind shot and when i got the stingy to land id say around 5/6 baby sting rays came gushing out of it (must of released them due to the shock) So yeh felt really bad about killing 7 of them! That's why i threw it away, at least when we fish and catch a real beauty we can release it and let it live!

Yeh the babies came out dead, wern't ready to be born and i suppose the shock set in to the ray and she just released them, this was back in 2002 some time so i can't remember what type it was? But i had no idea how to cook it so i gave it to a fisho that was near by he said he knew how to cook it..

now this is not a pic i took, found it on the net, but from memory this is what it looked like..even though i dont think the tail was as long as this one in the pic

post-1592-1138148415_thumb.jpg

Edited by KamakaziCroat

I have had the same experience, i used to catch stingrays and keep them for a friend who liked eating them, one time we brought one home and found another 4 in the bucket :1yikes: Another occasion after catching a stingray in the time it took to take the hook out, it gave birth :wacko:

I have had the same experience, i used to catch stingrays and keep them for a friend who liked eating them, one time we brought one home and found another 4 in the bucket :1yikes: Another occasion after catching a stingray in the time it took to take the hook out, it gave birth :wacko:

I think it's a defence mechanism, when the animal is that stressed it releases as much body weight as it can to try and escape (you could compare it to a human pissing his pants when he gets scared i suppose?) saw something like that on discovery channel once but was half asleep..