What types of lures would you use?

slothparade

DIscalmer; this is meant to be a bit of fun, please no fighting or anything, any ideas are welcome. This is just meant to be a friendly dicussion about different opions

Now that is out of the way, I was cutious, if you could only use 1 type of lure for 1 trip for flathead or bream what would you use? Hopefully its a bit of fun and veryone can learn some new things 

restrictions: must either be 

Hard body 

soft plastic 

size of jig head - if applicable

state the brand 

the size

colour 

taget, flatty or bream

Edited by slothparade
  • Like 1

A 2.5 inch Zman grub in motor oil. Probably on a 1/12 oz jig head, possibly 1/8 for deeper water and with a bit of scent added.

This is one lure that is every bit as effective on bream as it is flathead and can be fished aggressively or subtly, depending on mood the fish are in. 

• Like 6

17 minutes ago, frankS said:

My all time favorite for bream is the Storm Wiggle Wart 2" and for Flathead Storm 3" Hot N Tot. Either lure can catch either species as well as plenty of others .

Those Hot N Tots were one of my favourite bass lures back in the day. Particularly in the smaller size.

• Like 1

Rapala CD 3 in 'Red Clown' colour is the best I've used as an all rounder- casts a good distance, sinks and catches Whiting as well as Bream and Flathead. Hard to find even on the net.

Only problem with it is the fish genuinely inhale it, making for difficult releases, but fine if you're taking the fish to eat.

• Like 3

Another versatile lure I wouldn't be without when chasing bream and flathead is an Ecogear ZX40 in colour 440.

They're great in strong winds and currents and often seem to pull fish when nothing else will. They also work well when slow rolled for whiting up on the flats when they're not committing to a surface lure.

@Little_FlattyThose pearl watermelon, bass minnows are another top performer. Its uncanny the amount of big luderick I've caught on them around the ribbon weed edges. There was a time when they were the "go to" choice for a lot of bream tournament anglers.

Edited by Green Hornet
  • Like 5

If I could take three I’d have grubZ in motor oil for working the bottom, a deep fat crank (e.g hardz 38) for mid  and a Skinny Pop Jr for surface. 

If it was just the one lure, it would probably have to be GrubZ due to their sheer versatility and their strength on the bottom. 

Of course in a pressure situation with only one lure on one trip, I’d probably snag and lose it in the first few casts! So, topwater Skinny Pop so I can at least bring it home with me 🤣

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

For Bream  a cranka crab

For Flathead I thought I would go old school - anyone remember these ?

F6CF3A12-0633-4A1F-A290-6463D25EA146.jpeg.ef608ccddf91f0638f631f5d05f417ab.jpeg

Second lure I ever owned  and mine was the same colour as this one - first lure was a wonder wobbler that I got from the fishing clinic at broken bay and caught my first fish on a lure (flounder) with it on my second cast from fitness camp beach  - You could say I was hooked immediately 🤣

That reminds me I want to get a Halco wobbler ( same as a wonder wobbler ) to try on Salmon and tailor off the beach .

Edited by XD351
  • Like 2

47 minutes ago, XD351 said:

That reminds me I want to get a Halco wobbler ( same as a wonder wobbler ) to try on Salmon and tailor off the beach .

Here are a couple of Wobbler lures I copied for Waza a while back I named them "Waza Wobblers".

The center one  is the original wobbler .

1786789134_wobbler4.thumb.jpg.764552fb939272e590083cc238c48eed.jpg

Frank

• Like 3

1 hour ago, XD351 said:

For Bream  a cranka crab

For Flathead I thought I would go old school - anyone remember these ?

F6CF3A12-0633-4A1F-A290-6463D25EA146.jpeg.ef608ccddf91f0638f631f5d05f417ab.jpeg

Second lure I ever owned  and mine was the same colour as this one - first lure was a wonder wobbler that I got from the fishing clinic at broken bay and caught my first fish on a lure (flounder) with it on my second cast from fitness camp beach  - You could say I was hooked immediately 🤣

🤣only in antique stores. 

theyre worth a be aye?

12 minutes ago, slothparade said:

🤣only in antique stores. 

theyre worth a be aye?

To a lure collector they would be along with a genuine Rublex Floppy in mint condition ! 

I always wanted an ABU Killer but I don’t think they ever bought them into Australia .

The Lure shown in my post was  made in  Sydney , they were a fairly famous name back in the 50s through to the late 70s . A jointed minnow has a really unique action . Sadly my one got sacrificed to the gods of the oyster reef a long time ago 😭

• Sad 1

36 minutes ago, XD351 said:

To a lure collector they would be along with a genuine Rublex Floppy in mint condition ! 

I always wanted an ABU Killer but I don’t think they ever bought them into Australia .

The Lure shown in my post was  made in  Sydney , they were a fairly famous name back in the 50s through to the late 70s . A jointed minnow has a really unique action . Sadly my one got sacrificed to the gods of the oyster reef a long time ago 😭

bugger. theyre wood aye?

Just now, Green Hornet said:

I've never seen the timber lure you're talking about in your pic, but I still have a couple of Flopys.

Floppy Web.jpg

The lure is a Bellbrook swayback .

Surprised the rubber on the floppy hasn’t disintegrated! They were an ingenious lure with a  two position bib - worse thing was replacing the hooks - not a hard job but getting them wasn’t easy .

• Like 1

2 hours ago, frankS said:

Here are a couple of Wobbler lures I copied for Waza a while back I named them "Waza Wobblers".

The center one  is the original wobbler .

1786789134_wobbler4.thumb.jpg.764552fb939272e590083cc238c48eed.jpg

Frank

Frank the lures you made for me are way better than the original version and I love having them in the collection. Stainless steel and will outlast anything made these days. They will catch virtually anything that swims

It was a great gesture - many thanks again!

• Like 1

49 minutes ago, XD351 said:

The lure is a Bellbrook swayback .

Surprised the rubber on the floppy hasn’t disintegrated! They were an ingenious lure with a  two position bib - worse thing was replacing the hooks - not a hard job but getting them wasn’t easy .

I thought they had that Bellbrook look about them.

Along with the two position bib, the Flopys also had the removable plug where you could add a bit of water for extra weight. 

Where I used to buy them, the store owner stocked the hooks.

• Like 1