Ratchet jockey wheel for boat trailer

Salvatore

Hi!

I've recently become a boat owner of a Quintrex Renegade 460. Loving it but having trouble getting it into my garage!

The garage is only 10cm wider than the boat and I was hoping that if I got some sort of ratcheting or electric jockey wheel I could put it into the garage manually by hand for when I want to store the boat for more than a week.

It is on a standard Telwater trailer and I was wondering what my options are or if there is anything available that would just bolt, even just temporarily on to make things easier getting it into the garage? I visited a bunch of boat and caravan shops on the south coast last week but couldn't find anything that would fit.

Does anyone have any ideas on how I might solve this problem?

Cheers,

Salvatore

I have one of these 

1994982461_jockeywheel.thumb.jpg.acf83f9f62fe8c743c24a718474b94ee.jpg

One of the best things I have ever bought, It does a fantastic job. A bit slow as it's a very slow walking pace but if you are not in a great rush it is so easy a small child could put the boat where you want it. Does slip a bit on grass but overall tends to just mosey along.

Fits to drawbar just like a cheap jockey wheel and you can take it off easily once the trailer is on the tow bar and store it in the boot so it doesn't get flogged when you are out fishing. I use a small 20 amp hour battery, cost around $60

About $450 from ebay for the type I have which is a cheapy but you can pay more for top of line models, but my cheapy has been used for about 41/2 years now and still going strong.

I have about 50 metres I have to use it for both storing and unstoring my boat 14 foot Brooker with all the heavy gear in it , and it's a heavy load for a 14 footer.

You are welcome to come and have a test drive of mine if you wish.

Frank

Edited by frankS
  • Like 4

1 hour ago, frankS said:

I have one of these 

1994982461_jockeywheel.thumb.jpg.acf83f9f62fe8c743c24a718474b94ee.jpg

One of the best things I have ever bought, It does a fantastic job. A bit slow as it's a very slow walking pace but if you are not in a great rush it is so easy a small child could put the boat where you want it. Does slip a bit on grass but overall tends to just mosey along.

Fits to drawbar just like a cheap jockey wheel and you can take it off easily once the trailer is on the tow bar and store it in the boot so it doesn't get flogged when you are out fishing. I use a small 20 amp hour battery, cost around $60

About $450 from ebay for the type I have which is a cheapy but you can pay more for top of line models, but my cheapy has been used for about 41/2 years now and still going strong.

I have about 50 metres I have to use it for both storing and unstoring my boat 14 foot Brooker with all the heavy gear in it , and it's a heavy load for a 14 footer.

You are welcome to come and have a test drive of mine if you wish.

Frank

Thanks Frank. What is that called? Just want to know what to search for to do some research. Cheers!

1 hour ago, yella king said:

Hi Salvatore

Have you looked at a trailer dolly.

They are a cheap option at  around $100. 

They fit into the trailer pull and they are great for moving boats or trailers around.

cheers 

No, I haven't. Thanks for that! Will look into it. The driveway entry to the garage is on a bit of a down slope - can you get something like this with a ratchet to stop it pulling itself into a wall? Thanks!

I used to use a ratchet jockey wheel. Bought it at the 3 letter chain store where you have lots of fun. 😉 You just work the lever backwards and forwards. I found it pretty easy to use. I had to drive up a steep driveway into my garage, then unhook the trailer and manoeuvre it across and down a bit onto a side slab. When hooking up, I had to manouvre it up and across and then backwards into the garage so I could hook the car up. When I moved to Port Stephens I no longer had this problem and I only recently changed to a standard jockey wheel.

• Like 1

13 hours ago, Salvatore said:

Thanks Frank. What is that called? Just want to know what to search for to do some research. Cheers!

Just look up " electric jockey wheel " there are lots of brands and prices to choose from, also video's on Utube showing caravans being maneuvered around . They are restricted to certain levels of slopes and as I said my one has to travel over several metres of grass and sometimes it does slip , when it slips I get a 2nd person to lean on the transom and it usually starts rolling again.

The ratchet type used lots of energy ( that I don't have ) but the electric you just press a button and walk beside it.

Frank

• Like 1

The ratchet ones are OK for just "positioning" a trailer, to move it any more than a foot or two, get an electric one for sure, as mentioned, there's lots to choose from, and depending on what exactly you want to do will determine which one you buy.

• Thanks 1

Hi Salv

I have about 10cm (5cm each Side) to get my boat through my front and rear garage doors, once you become a good reverser you will just use the car to put the boat away.

Mine is on a slight slope down and having a Stacer 539 means its to risky to push by hand, So its slow and steady with the Ute. Makes good practice for tight spots.

P.s

I can reverse my boat trailer into any tight spot, but put a box trailer on and its all over the shop, damn short draw bar and wheel so close gets me every time.

• Thanks 1