Uneven line lay on Twinpower 1000FB

Little_Flatty

Hi Raiders,

I have a very old shimano twinpower which has been sitting quietly in my garage for a while and really should be using it more. I tried to respool it this afternoon with new braid, but as the picture shows, the line lay is really uneven. The reel is over 15 years old - it dates back to some of my early raider posts - but is in reasonable nick. It was last serviced about 10 years ago and I suspect there is a part missing or an extra washer in there.

image.png.a0c8d16c3cf7fbab373dd266e48c2c35.png

Does anyone have any idea what might be going on here? I suspect the solution is simple, but I will go mad if I need to do one more de-spooling/re-spooling.

Mike

Hi Mate,

There are some spacer washers usually placed underneath the spool itself and on the spindle to help with the line lay.

I should have a a manual for the twin power floating around. If I can find it I'll scan it in for you.

Derek

PS. Found the manual. Scanning it now and I'll post in a few minutes. if you don't have the spacer washers I can measure mine to let you know what you should be looking for,

Edited by DerekD
  • Thanks 1

My take is that you have to put a few spacers underneath the spool to get the line laying more to the back. It looks like I have 3 (or maybe 4) which came in a bag with the reel. OD is about 14mm. ID is about 5mm. I haven't taken them out of the pack but the thickness looks to be about 0.3mm

See the manual.

932873166_TwinPowerlay.thumb.jpg.53b11f0ddb7138704902df36fe387fb0.jpg

Edited by DerekD
  • Thanks 2

1 minute ago, Little_Flatty said:

Otherwise a trip to the tackle shop might be warranted...

It is Christmas time.... I think a trip to the tackle shop is required to at least verify the advice in the manual....

While you are there you better have a look around too as you never know what else you might need. You are after all saving a second trip.

• Haha 1

4 minutes ago, DerekD said:

It is Christmas time.... I think a trip to the tackle shop is required to at least verify the advice in the manual....

While you are there you better have a look around too as you never know what else you might need. You are after all saving a second trip.

If it wasn't a Twinpower, I'd be saying 'my reel is broken, I need a new one'. 🤣

But alas, I just can't leave a beautiful reel like that, even though it is old and even though it is injured...quite a terrible admission, but this reel has been passed by for a fleet of Sedonas since I became a father. I have no idea why. Actually I think it's because I didn't like the batch of Fireline that was on it and couldn't be bothered changing it...the dumb things we do sometimes!

I had one that was working perfectly then suddenly started laying it all up the one end like that. My daughter took in the shop and the guy knew straight way what it was, which unfortunately she couldn't remember but it wasn't the spacers and was a quick easy fix.

18 hours ago, JonD said:

I had one that was working perfectly then suddenly started laying it all up the one end like that. My daughter took in the shop and the guy knew straight way what it was, which unfortunately she couldn't remember but it wasn't the spacers and was a quick easy fix.

Argh bummer. That sounds like my story. The reel was perfect for more than a decade.

I might start by trying washers from another reel first and if that doesn't fix it, I'll send it to Shimano. I've been meaning to anyway because the anti reverse bearing isn't as instant as it used to be, and the reel is a little clunkier than before. Still perfectly usable, just could be a bit smoother.

5 minutes ago, Little_Flatty said:

Argh bummer. That sounds like my story. The reel was perfect for more than a decade.

I might start by trying washers from another reel first and if that doesn't fix it, I'll send it to Shimano. I've been meaning to anyway because the anti reverse bearing isn't as instant as it used to be, and the reel is a little clunkier than before. Still perfectly usable, just could be a bit smoother.

How about popping into a tackle store, they might be able to tell you what to do. When you take the spool off is the nut where the spindle goes through tight. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, JonD said:

How about popping into a tackle store, they might be able to tell you what to do. When you take the spool off is the nut where the spindle goes through tight. 

Interesting. I could actually hand tighten it. Are you saying that I should tighten it up and try again?

Thanks again.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Little_Flatty said:

Interesting. I could actually hand tighten it. Are you saying that I should tighten it up and try again?

Thanks again.

If thats the case. Shouldnt there be a little screw to stop the nut from coming loose?

• Like 1

35 minutes ago, xerotao said:

If thats the case. Shouldnt there be a little screw to stop the nut from coming loose?

Not that I know of. This is a pretty old reel. I’ll give it a go and report back. Thankfully for such a tiny reel it is not too painful to strip the line.

Edited by Little_Flatty

1 hour ago, Little_Flatty said:

Not that I know of. This is a pretty old reel. I’ll give it a go and report back. Thankfully for such a tiny reel it is not too painful to strip the line.

Part number "6289" is the screw in question.

Taken from the schematics for the twinpower 1000fb

twinpower.png

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

Just came back from a tackle shop that does services. Long story short, they said because the reel is more than 10 years old (it's actually turning 16 in the new year!), they will have a hard time getting parts for it.

I'm not giving up though, might cannibalise some parts from another old reel to see if it comes good. Then I might see if I can find or make something to take the place of the washers.

It seems strange to me that it would be the washers under the spool if its been okay all these years unless you've removed some at some stage recently, or respooled with mono after using braid previously. 

I have heard of this problem before with some Daiwas that are purposely made for braid and spooled with mono, but never Shimano.

JonD's answer sounds most logical to me, either that or you may have developed some freeplay in your worm drive that controls the oscillation. If you grab the spool, does it seem to have excessive up and down freeplay?

Another possible and easy to check issue could be your bail, roller bearing is shot.

If you fix the problem, I'd be interested to know what it was.

• Thanks 1

20 hours ago, Green Hornet said:

It seems strange to me that it would be the washers under the spool if its been okay all these years unless you've removed some at some stage recently, or respooled with mono after using braid previously. 

I have heard of this problem before with some Daiwas that are purposely made for braid and spooled with mono, but never Shimano.

JonD's answer sounds most logical to me, either that or you may have developed some freeplay in your worm drive that controls the oscillation. If you grab the spool, does it seem to have excessive up and down freeplay?

Another possible and easy to check issue could be your bail, roller bearing is shot.

If you fix the problem, I'd be interested to know what it was.

Problem fixed. It was the spacers after all. I 'borrowed' some spacers from my out of action Sedona and after a couple of tests, the line lay was good enough: 

image.png.0434c664fb710e8878733e161cd6785d.png

I'll get some replacement spacers for my Sedona after the new year break. There's no rush, just would be good reel for the kids to use as they start to do more fishing.

@Green Hornet My theory about how this happened was that the required spacers were there, but the reel has had several services over the time I've had it and on one of them, they failed to replace the spacers. This wasn't apparent until I replaced the line on the reel.

Thanks to everyone who helped me out with this @DerekD@JonD, @Green Hornet and @xerotao.

• Like 2

My two cents worth. I had a similar problem with a couple of reels. I thought it was the line I was using. Changed the line same thing.

I went and bought an Ecooda line spooler. Haven't had a problem since. It lays the line on perfectly.

Cheers.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Little_Flatty said:

Problem fixed. It was the spacers after all. I 'borrowed' some spacers from my out of action Sedona and after a couple of tests, the line lay was good enough:

Bazinga!!! 😃

• Like 2

18 hours ago, Green Hornet said:

Good to hear you got it sorted and as usual, I was wrong again LOL.

Great little reels. I had a couple of 1000 Sustains of the same vintage and they were a pleasure to fish with.

Certainly not wrong, the nut was actually loose!

These reels are certainly beautiful. Even though it is old and well used, it is still respectfully holds its own compared to my newer (but admittedly cheaper) gear.

• Like 1