Tying braid to hook

HawkesburyParadise

I fondly made the switch from mono to braid. I got a 6lb braid and I tied it to 00 sinker and number of different hooks.  

I looped it around twice on the eye of the hook and then made a uni knit. However,  when I tied the bait on, the hook fell right off.

Is this due to slippage or I need a new knot for braid?

Cheers

HP

24 minutes ago, HawkesburyParadise said:

I fondly made the switch from mono to braid. I got a 6lb braid and I tied it to 00 sinker and number of different hooks.  

I looped it around twice on the eye of the hook and then made a uni knit. However,  when I tied the bait on, the hook fell right off.

Is this due to slippage or I need a new knot for braid?

Cheers

HP

Hi HP,

Braid generally needs more turns than when tying the same knot in mono, because it is so slippery. It’s not just you; I lost a good fish on Christmas Day because I wasn’t familiar with a new brand of braid I was using.

Try adding another three turns over what you have been doing and see if it slips, and if it does, add a few more and keep going until you have working it out.

Also most of us tend to use a mono or fluorocarbon leader with braid. You can make the join with a swivel or a double uni knot when you can manage that.

Hope this helps.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Little_Flatty said:

Hi HP,

Braid generally needs more turns than when tying the same knot in mono, because it is so slippery. It’s not just you; I lost a good fish on Christmas Day because I wasn’t familiar with a new brand of braid I was using.

Try adding another three turns over what you have been doing and see if it slips, and if it does, add a few more and keep going until you have working it out.

Also most of us tend to use a mono or fluorocarbon leader with braid. You can make the join with a swivel or a double uni knot when you can manage that.

Hope this helps.

I can manage a double uni, thanks will do that. 

• Like 1

22 hours ago, Little_Flatty said:

Hi HP,

Hope this helps.

Sound advice there.

I recently spooled a shimano travel rod combo the spider wire brand braid which I bought because it was on special(300mtrs 10lb $20).

I noticed when spooling it was leaving a waxy residue on the edge of the first guide(closest to reel).

Tied my usual FG knot & pulled it tight before full closing it of & no problem, did my usual close off knots & when it was finished I pulled hard to test in & it pulled off the fluro 😳

I ended up getting a warm most rag & wiping the tag of the braid to get the wax off it & also doubled the number of turns to get more bite area on the leader.

@HawkesburyParadise the reason we mostly use either fluorocarbon or mono as the 1 to 1.5mtrs of the end if the leader is for a couple of reasons, it is more abrasion resistant than braid & it also has a bit of stretch which allows a bit of a shock absorber effect where braid has next to zero.

On some of my heavier outfits that I use braid with a could have 2 to 4 mtrs of fluorocarbon for the later reason. But for a cast rod keep it shorter so the braid is already past the last eyelet in the cast position.

Edited by kingie chaser

21 hours ago, HawkesburyParadise said:

I can manage a double uni, thanks will do that. 

On the topic of braid-mono knots, note that @kingie chaser mentioned the FG knot. A lot of us use that to join braid to mono (a knot of this nature is pretty much compulsory when there is a big diameter difference between braid and leader). While it isn't exactly difficult to tie (especially with an FG knot tool), it's more involved/time-consuming than just about any other knot you'll learn.

If you find yourself wanting to use something slimmer than a double uni knot, then try an improved slim beauty. I only just learned of this in the past few days and it seems to be working a treat. It's not quite as compact as an FG, but it is not so fiddly that I'd think twice about tying it in the field.

Something to practice when your partner or child has control of the TV for an evening :) 

All that said, I used a double uni for more than a decade and it served me perfectly well :D 

Edited by Little_Flatty

On 12/30/2021 at 7:03 PM, Little_Flatty said:

On the topic of braid-mono knots, note that @kingie chaser mentioned the FG knot. A lot of us use that to join braid to mono (a knot of this nature is pretty much compulsory when there is a big diameter difference between braid and leader). While it isn't exactly difficult to tie (especially with an FG knot tool), it's more involved/time-consuming than just about any other knot you'll learn.

If you find yourself wanting to use something slimmer than a double uni knot, then try an improved slim beauty. I only just learned of this in the past few days and it seems to be working a treat. It's not quite as compact as an FG, but it is not so fiddly that I'd think twice about tying it in the field.

Something to practice when your partner or child has control of the TV for an evening :) 

All that said, I used a double uni for more than a decade and it served me perfectly well :D 

The double uni is much stronger if you tie a double in the braid first using the bimini twist - but with 40 plus turns instead of the usual 20 with mono.