Boat size vs offshore fishing

MelRis

Hey guys,

Ive purchased a Stacer 509 Baymaster with a 115hp Merc Optimax and looking to take it out either past botany heads or out Cronulla way.

What sort of weather (wind,swell) am I looking at to cruise on out? I don't want to get smashed out there! I'm looking to snag my first Kingie! 

Cheers

Mel

• Like 1

The wind is your enemy, if it's windy, it's going to be choppy, which means you're going to have a rough ride. Take your time, go early in the morning before the wind comes up, take it in steps, gaining experience as you go.

• Like 2

If there are whitecaps stay in close. But in saying that this is the best time to stick it out and learn how to handle your craft, don't go racing in for cover at the first sign of whitecaps, it's good fun to get bashed about a bit, the boat will handle it, it's just a matter of how much you want to learn and how much you want to get to know your boat.

IF you don't feel safe or any of the crew are not willing . Go inside. But always remember, you never learn IF you don't try.

I am not suggesting you go gung ho and take on bad conditions, if it's rough don't tempt fate, but just as the whitecaps are starting to form, around 15 knotts of wind, is the best time to learn the basics of boat handling.

It goes without saying that you are better off with someone experienced in the boat, but not always possible.

Frank

Edited by frankS
  • Like 1

Welcome aboard.

Always check with Deckee ( Weather ) before you go anywhere.

Learn all about your boat and what it will do.

Take somebody with you, somebody that has owned a boat.

Cheers.

Edited by Rebel
  • Thanks 1

15 hours ago, MelRis said:

What sort of weather (wind,swell) am I looking at to cruise on out? I don't want to get smashed out there! I'm looking to snag my first Kingie! 

As others have said watch the wind .....but in my mind skipper experience is the most important. Your question has been asked many times ... suggest you use the search function to scan the forum. 

Here's a few posts that I'm aware of as I participated in them, ..

Also @JonD has posted some remarkable  boating adventures in all manner of craft in seas most of us would not go out in ....

Take your time and build experience with your boat, with different loads (crew) and under various sea conditions - you as skipper need to know how it handles ... and what to do.  With that under your belt you'll be out wide chasing kings and returning safely no matter what the seas throw at you.

Cheers Zoran

All about the weather and your level of experience. I used to take my 3.5m tinny 2 - 3 km's out on the right day.

Took my 4.7m Cuddy cabin out to 12 mile regularly.

As has been said wind is your enemy, especially if you are heading into it on your way home. If you are ssure don't go.

For many years I took my 4.5metre quintrex lazeabout off shore to places like the 12mile with no problems.  I was carefull to check weather reports especially noting forcast changes during the day.   Example is in summer it regularly changes to strong NE winds in afternoon so I would plan to fish to the north so I had following seas to come home.  It's ok to try to outrun changing conditions at speed but if you get caught in bad conditions its safer to slow down to a safe speed and take your time to get home safely.  Get out there as often as you can to build experience and confidence.  Ron 

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...
On 1/12/2022 at 3:02 AM, MelRis said:

Hey guys,

Ive purchased a Stacer 509 Baymaster with a 115hp Merc Optimax and looking to take it out either past botany heads or out Cronulla way.

Cheers

Mel

I still dream of the day I could own  a boat like yours having only owned a 13ft tinny.  

On 1/12/2022 at 9:18 PM, campr said:

Get out there as often as you can to build experience and confidence.  Ron 

For me this is the best & most simple & easily understandable advise.

I dont know anyone who ever successfully attempted to climb a mountain like Everest before first climbing a smaller mountain.................................................several times!

• Like 1