Medium Heavy Kingfish Outfit

victorski

Howdy brains trust,

I'm hoping you could offer some advice, I've spent many hours researching a kingfish outfit for the boat and need a bit of extra help. 

I'll be using the rod on a boat, live baiting, trolling using a poor man's downrigger, tossing lures and SPs and perhaps giving jigging a go but that's not a priority. I will mostly be fishing inside  Botany Bay and the Harbour and sometimes out the heads if weather permits. 

I've currently got a 7' Samaki Zing 12-25lb with a 13cm broken tip which I'm hoping to fix, it's matched with a Sustain 6000FG 13kg drag which I'm thinking of loading up with 30lb Daiwa J Braid Grand. I think I'll use this as my lightish kingy rig.

Now I'm looking to step up medium-heavy rig, and have been looking at these 4 rods:

Daiwa Demon Blood 6'4" - 2-4 PE
Daiwa Demon Blood 7' -  3-5 PE
Daiwa Saltist Hyper 6'4" - 2-4 PE
Daiwa Saltist Hyper 7' 3-4 PE

I assume the 7' rods will be better for tossing lures, 6'4“ for jigging, I'm gravitating towards the 7' Demon Blood. Is there much difference between the Saltist Hyper and the Demon Blood? 

In terms of reel, I've been looking at the 6000, 8000 or 10000 Saragosa. I feel the 10000 might be overkill and way to heavy for any lengthy session, the 6000 looks better weight wise at 455g but only has 10kg drag. The 8000 has 15kg drag, but weighs 555g.

What would you all recommend, I don't want to go overboard and fish too heavy on the kingies and I am happy to lose some of the bigger models in lieu of having more hook ups with a lighter set up. 

What braid and leaders would you recommend for the medium heavy outfit?

Any help would be greatly appreciated

Cheers,

Victor  

Edited by victorski

Mate I would go the 6000 Saragosa matched to the new 7’1” PE2/3 Saltist Hyper. 10kg of drag on the 6000 is heaps. You wouldn’t even need to fish that much drag. Put some PE3 braid on it (Tasline is the best) with a 30-40lb leader and your laughing. 

Thank you everyone, I really appreciate the input 🙂

@Seafarer5 Thanks mate, I'll scope out the saltist hyper, the specs look great, also thanks for recommending tasline, never used it before might be time for something new. 

@Pickles  Would you recommend the 8000 or 10000? There is negligible difference in weight, I think the 10000 has an aluminium rotor where the 8000 has a graphite one. Would the 8000 be better for lures and spinning metals considering it has a faster retrieve ratio? I think I'd be using it primarily for live baiting. 

What braid do you run on your 8000 and 10000 gosa, and what sort of leaders? 

Thanks again, greatly appreciated. 

Cheers, 

Victor 

6 hours ago, victorski said:

Thank you everyone, I really appreciate the input 🙂

@Seafarer5 Thanks mate, I'll scope out the saltist hyper, the specs look great, also thanks for recommending tasline, never used it before might be time for something new. 

@Pickles  Would you recommend the 8000 or 10000? There is negligible difference in weight, I think the 10000 has an aluminium rotor where the 8000 has a graphite one. Would the 8000 be better for lures and spinning metals considering it has a faster retrieve ratio? I think I'd be using it primarily for live baiting. 

What braid do you run on your 8000 and 10000 gosa, and what sort of leaders? 

Thanks again, greatly appreciated. 

Cheers, 

Victor 

Victor, you don’t need a big reel for Kingies, but drag and capacity of line. I’d be going for the 8000 on a 64CJ Daiwa Demon blood(have several of these and a great, solid, reliable unit) Ilike colour braid and have tried many and like the Unitika - 65lb.you can get this online through eBay and a cheap and reliable line.Proline is also one of my favourites.

I did a review of braids -“ Braids ain’t Braids”, it’s in the library archives.

hope this helps

Bob

• 2 weeks later...