New To Beach Fishing?

oackie

Guest maraudingmado

While we're on the subject of beach fishing you always hear about finding the gutters and reading the beach. anyone care to elaborate on how this is done?

or recomend good book or dvd on the subject

Cheers

Rob

A beach gutter is essentially a deeper channel that runs through the shallower beach sand. Gutters act as a service lane for fish allowing them to move into the feast of food that inhabits the shallower water.

Fish like Australian Salmon, Tailor, Silver Trevally and the prize of the beach the Mulloway swim up and down or in along the deeper gutters, and smaller fish like flathead, Sand Whiting and Yellowfin Bream inhabit the smaller gutters.

Gutters allow hungry fish to ambush the bait fish and things like beach worms, shell fish, crabs, pippies and the like.

A gutter typically runs parallel to a beach, but they can also run at any other angle including straight in. At first gutters can be hard to spot amongst the frothing mass of white water and breaking waves, but with a little know how you will soon be spotting them like a pro.

First of all, over the deeper gutters the waves don't break as heavily, and they even turn back into swell while going over the hole. Darker water is also usually visible under the gutter when the seas are not too rough. Hard dumping waves are a sign that there is a sharp drop off.

To spot a gutter during high tide it's easiest to get up on top of a hill or other vantage point, especially during bright midday sun. So if your approaching a new spot try taking a drive walk or pedal along the coast until you spot a good gutter. Taking a little time to do this saves a lot of wasted time fishing the wrong areas.

Another technique is to walk along a beach at low tide and look for gutters and features in the sand which will be under water when the tide comes in.

A rocky corner of a beach or a rocky outcrop in the middle of a beach often has a deeper gutter running along it, so it's well worth checking out such spots. Fish treat the rock ledges as a gutter and follow them into the beach for a feed.

Be aware that gutters do change shape and size and can even appear or disappear over night, especially after a big storm. Calm seas slowly fill in gutters and are 'generally' not good for beach fishing except for some species like flathead which will sneak right in close in small left over gutters. Big seas dig out new gutters exposing fresh shell fish crustacean and beach worms and a fresh deep gutter with still stirred up water usually offers the best fishing.

Gutters often reform in certain areas, especially if there is hard structure like reef nearby. It's well worth trying a few different gutters as you will learn which spots attract more of a certain species during different seasons and conditions.

Gutters often fish best when the tide first goes over them as this is when the fish first sample the smorgasbord on offer. If you get a high tide at dawn or dusk things are looking better yet.

A gutter could be anything from a cricket pitch sized strip right up to one that runs for a hundred meters or more. They could be right in close on the shore in reach of fly casters, or 70 metres out where only big surf rods can reach them, only one thing remains the same they are the best place on the beach to fish!

Guest maraudingmado

Thanks maraudingmado

Great informative answer to my question and easy to understand for a dummy like me.

I'll be off to the tackle shop this week to get myself set up, looking forward to trying out a new form of fishing :yahoo:

I love this sort of fishing :biggrin2:

I can't take credit for the above answer to your question. I cut and pasted it from an article I read

post-1432-1137018981_thumb.gifIndeed a very good article, there is also a great book on the subject "Beach and Rock fishing" you'll find it in most good tackle shops, i've attached a pic of it (hope it works).

The best thing to do is go to the beach and stand as high as possible and you can see the dark shades of the water, i'find that's the best way.

I too was thinking of Narra this Friday, maybe see you all there.

Steve.

Oackie,

If you want to catch jewies, I'd use a jewfish-specific rig (I haven't sussed-out a winner yet). Tailor and salmon can both be caught on a ganged pillie, tied to a heavy mono trace, connected to a swivel above which runs a star sinker - pretty simple. I'm going to try the pillies/softies idea soon.

Flattieman.

• 2 weeks later...

I have caught a couple of jew while fishing for tailer on pillies with gang hooks. But my most succsessful method of beach jew fishing for me has been to cut a tailor in half get the head and the gut cavity and use this for a bait. It is a big bait a can be difficult to cast but use enough lead and you can get it out there. Use a two hook rig I use 7'os tie one using a blood knot leave the tag end 20cm long and then tie the second hook to the end of the line. Put one hook through the mouth of the bait and the bottom hook through the belly. Put it out in nice gutter and weigth.

If there are smaller jew schoolies then a great bait is beach worm. You need a lot though. Use a standard running rig with enough lead to hold out. I do not like to anchor the bait to the bottom so a little movement is good. Get a full worm run it up your hook over the eye and up the line about 20 to 25 cm then loop some more worm on the hook it looks wierd but works.

Good Luck