Cooler Bags

Green Hornet

This winter I'm planning on driving a little further down the coast to fish and considering buying one of those long, purpose made cooler bags for keeping my catch cool and fresh.

Does anyone have a particular brand they'd recommend?

Also, I'd prefer not to have to buy ice before every trip and I'm wondering if I could use freezer blocks or bottles of frozen water instead?

I think nothing is as good as an esky, bags are convenient because you can store them out of the way, but you still need somewhere to keep your ice, or buy it when/if you catch fish. Bags will not keep ice like an esky does, depending on the type of fish expected (as in long skinny Dolphin fish, or just regular Flathead) a decent esky to suit is a way better option, all in my opinion of course.

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, noelm said:

I think nothing is as good as an esky, bags are convenient because you can store them out of the way, but you still need somewhere to keep your ice, or buy it when/if you catch fish. Bags will not keep ice like an esky does, depending on the type of fish expected (as in long skinny Dolphin fish, or just regular Flathead) a decent esky to suit is a way better option, all in my opinion of course.

I fish land based, mainly from the beach and stay mobile, so its impractical to use it while I’m fishing.

I drive an aluminium tray, Commodore 1 tonner and can’t find a decent size esky that will fit in my tool boxes as they’re only 350mm deep, hence the bag. 

It will only be used to keep the fish cool while travelling home, no longer than around 45 minutes. 

I know its not ideal, but has to be better than the damp pillow case in bucket I’m using now.

• Like 1

26 minutes ago, Green Hornet said:

I fish land based, mainly from the beach and stay mobile, so its impractical to use it while I’m fishing.

This problem sounds familiar!

For my purposes, I keep a supermarket cooler bag, one or two ice packs and a plastic bag in my backpack. Any fish I catch are dispatched, then go into the plastic bag, then into the cooler and then into my backpack. My backpack isn't big, so I need to economise on the amount of gear I carry so that I can carry a feed of fish home. The fish stay well cold, even if I need to walk/travel for over and hour on public transport on a very hot day.

Obviously problematic if you're catching big mulloway or cricket scores of fish, but my methods and restricted session times stop me from having this problem :) I looked into the bigger bags but even the smallest ones available are too expensive for me to justify.

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, Little_Flatty said:

This problem sounds familiar!

For my purposes, I keep a supermarket cooler bag, one or two ice packs and a plastic bag in my backpack. Any fish I catch are dispatched, then go into the plastic bag, then into the cooler and then into my backpack. My backpack isn't big, so I need to economise on the amount of gear I carry so that I can carry a feed of fish home. The fish stay well cold, even if I need to walk/travel for over and hour on public transport on a very hot day.

Obviously problematic if you're catching big mulloway or cricket scores of fish, but my methods and restricted session times stop me from having this problem :) I looked into the bigger bags but even the smallest ones available are too expensive for me to justify.

Thanks for the reply.

While I’m on the beach My main targets are tailor and salmon. I only keep 2 or 3 fish and while I’m fishing, the ones I’ve decided to keep are dispatched and sitting head down in a bucket full of seawater bleeding out while I’m still on the sand.

I only fish for an hour or so per session, so I feel my catch would still be in good condition before they make it to the cool bag.

I don’t mind spending the cash its going to make a difference when my fish finally on the dinner plate.

• Like 1

If you're only intending on keeping a couple of fish, those silver/foil bubble bags that cold stuff gets delivered in would be perfect, free and easily available (I tossed away two last week) will keep ice freezer packs (those plastic things) for quite a while.

• Like 2

Ice frozen in bottles is fine but if you are carrying it can be heavy.  Adding salt to water is supposed to make ice thats colder and lasts longer but can't be used for emergency drinking water.  I use 2 and 3 litre bottles in my boat but I have a big eski.  Ron 

• Like 1

Thanks @frankS.

@noelmThe reason I was looking for something with maximum insulation is if I have to park in the sun these aluminium boxes get really hot inside.

When I was still building, I thought I just had bad luck with cordless tool batteries until I realised it was the heat that was killing them.

This is the best pic I have of them.

10-12-15 #1.jpg

I have a meter long cooler bag, I put 4, 2lr frozen juice containers in it and lie it on the boat floor along the seat out of the way. when I catch a fish I put some salt water in it to cover the fish and slip them in.  Cold water keeps them in mint condition.

• Like 1