A few days away at Narooma

noelm

Just got back from a few days at Narooma, didn't do any fishing, but had some time for "snooping" noticed a big Aluminium longline boat at the wharf, as usual there was a few tourists fishing off the wharf, catching an assortment of small odds and ends. Took a drive across the bridge to check out the ramp, and saw a "no right turn" sign (it is a pretty dangerous spot, right on a blind corner) so drove north to find a place to turn around, got back to the turn, and there's a "no left turn" so, I went to visit a mate and went back further north and it looks like the ramp entrance is now on the Dalmeny road, which had a Police highway patrol lurking in the bushes, must be a few speeders there? Anyway, anyone thinking of boating there, just be aware the boat ramp street is an "out" only, JonD will obviously know this, probably been that way for ages?

• Like 2

Just to add for anyone thinking of doing a trip down that way, did the tourist thing to Tilba, seems like it's the Nimbin of the south these days, lots of young hippie types and tourist shops, on to Bermagui, still a nice place, always has been underrated (in my opinion) had a nice meal at the pub there. Next day we went north to look around Tuross heads, it's quite big these days, got some Oysters off the guy at (I think) Smarts River/creek, he has a sign on the side of the road, did the "back road" through Wallaga Lake, lots of people fishing there, in boats and from the shore.

• Like 1

I was down there over xmas & new years working at Dalmeny which is a lovely little town & beach, lagoon.

I drove down & back each day from Denham's beach, the police were everywhere revenue raising & there were at least 2 photo speed camera cars operating just between 

I didnt have much spare time as I worked 13 days straight up to 11 hours a day but had a couple of quick flicks in the Moruya river with SP's for no result(not the best tides)

I want to go back outside of school holidays & take the tinny down & explore the area over a couple of weeks as it looks amazing.

Edited by kingie chaser
  • Like 1

Tourist stuff.....

Tilba had a great Pie shop a few years ago, still Ok but not as good.

Down around Wallaga is very nice as you said Noelm, take a walk up to Horse Head rock then drop into Camel Rock Brewery.

It's a great place down that way, we go a bit further south and being from Sydney, even in around Christmas holidays still aint as busy as bloody Sydney.

• Like 1

Yeah the whole South Coast is nice, we went there to meet some people we haven't seen for a while, and visit my mate that lives there, not a fishing trip sadly......but that said, doing the "tourist" thing was kind of nice for a change. Tilba is certainly not what it was a few years ago, but, we did have a decent meal at the funny looking Pub there, unlike the food at Narooma pub, all it had going for it was the view, sad food, bad service and a thousand Seagulls swooping on anything left unguarded for even a millisecond! Seeing as we had people with us that had never seen the area, it gave us a chance to actually look around places that we mostly just drive past or through.

• Like 1

49 minutes ago, kingie chaser said:

I want to go back outside of school holidays & take the tinny down & explore the area over a couple of weeks as it looks amazing.

Kingie. When I get the Savage all set up and going I plan on going down there for a few days and would like your company.

Free accommodation for as ling as we want to stay and some good fishing offshore when weather permitting and the lake when outside is too rough.

My mate is a top fisho and has lots of stories to tell, we have been best mates since we were teenagers .

Should have a few decent sessions, IF the weather plays it's part.

Let me know when you are available as I can go anytime.

Frank 

24 minutes ago, frankS said:

Kingie. When I get the Savage all set up and going I plan on going down there for a few days and would like your company.

Free accommodation for as ling as we want to stay and some good fishing offshore when weather permitting and the lake when outside is too rough.

My mate is a top fisho and has lots of stories to tell, we have been best mates since we were teenagers .

Should have a few decent sessions, IF the weather plays it's part.

Let me know when you are available as I can go anytime.

Frank 

Thanks for the offer frank.

I am not actually sure when it will be possible to fit it in but I was just passing comment that it would be a place I want to explore.

This year I already have 2 trips(non fishing) planned with friends that I missed out in 2020 & 2021 due to Covid.

If I can squeeze in a long weekend I will let you know but thats more likely to be either during winter or the later part of the year.

Will still be very keen in the interim to head out to Botany bay for some day outings though when you ready :thumbup:

49 minutes ago, frankS said:

Noel. You should have let me know you were visiting the area. I would have given you my mates address ( my second home ) at Cobargo.

It is a lovely area with some great fishing spots.

Frank

Funny, we looked around Cobargo, driven through there thousands of times, never stopped, same as Bodalla, stopped there and did the tourist thing, bought some cheese, had a beer in the pub (a coke for me, as I was the driver) we just generally  "snooped" around the whole area over 4 days, funny what you do when you're the "guide" 

Had a bit of a look at the bar at Tuross, I guess it's the Tuross river that exits there, not too sure if anyone has used it, looks a bit tricky at low tide (when we were there) but overall probably OK with some tide.

1 minute ago, Blackfish said:

One of the great things I noticed down there, the Boat ramps were never that busy or not busy at all.

Bliss after Sydney.

Yeah, I guess by Sydney standards they are deserted.....Narooma ramp was pretty well not used, the swell was up and the bar looked a bit tricky, so most boaters were only tinnys, and only a few at that. As usual the water was very clear and lots of fish visible from any jetty or ramp, I reckon seeing fish like that must frustrate the tourists!

Bermi ramp is good except during holidays and tournament days, these times I stay away from the place for fishing and launching the boat.

During and just after the tournaments Me and my mate scavenge the garbage bins and get out supply of bait for months to come. Sometimes full blocks of pillies , squid and other worth while baits that the comp blokes have left, quiet often still frozen or there abuts.

Frank

• Like 1

On tournament days if you raid the bins about 2-3 pm when the tourno guys have finished for the day and sitting in the pub you get the tuna and mahi frames and they usually have heaps of good flesh left on them as they don't spend a lot of time getting close to the bone.

And we all know the closer the bone the sweeter the meat .

You would be surprised at how much good meat you can scavenge from them bins. But you have to get in quick.

Frank

Yep, fished a couple of times at Bermi during comp times, it does get pretty crowded then. The whole place is becoming quite tourist oriented now, I guess it's just a sign of the times, more and more people just getting away, the road is heaps better than in the "old days" (but still pretty sad in places) it wasn't that long ago that to go to places like that was almost a planned military mission, but these days, way better cars, boats and trailers, lots of towns "bypassed" and it's just a simple Sunday drive. One thing I did notice was lots more "Winnebago" type things, some huge ones too, seems like they might have over taken the caravan market? and most of them driving mega slow.....until you hit an over taking lane of course! Now this might sound like the "grumpy old man" coming out in me, but we followed a big "home on wheels" for quite some time, doing about 70klm, as soon as there was an over taking section, there was a cloud of diesel smoke and he zoomed off to 100+, not allowing even one car to pass!

• Like 1

Everywhere coastal is just getting busier, I suppose that's just change like our older brethren back in the day used to say

"I can remember when ........" Have a look at this, though I'm having trouble with the link on my browser. 

https://www.abc.net.au/news/2022-02-10/population-growth-outstrips-infrastructure-in-outer-sydney/100816952

I'm not that young either Noelm, but I have to agree with you about the driving of some people 😡

• Like 1