The great SP compatibility experiment

Little_Flatty

Got back from a session this morning and found one quarter of a squidgy prawn in my pocket and had a lightbulb go off in my head. Presented with some other half-eaten lures, I'm wondering if I should cut them into slivers and do a bit of experimentation of compatibility between plastics. Specifically I'm curious to see if Bio-Tough and Z-man get along. Just got myself some Squidgy Bio-Tough flick baits just to see if they might be a more durable alternative to a Berkeley Power Minnow.

Back-story: I often store multiple plastics together, which I know is naughty (no need for a lecture 😎), but this is in the spirit of carrying less stuff. I know that Squidgies (non-biotough) and Berkley Powerbait SPs generally get along. Z-mans are pretty unfriendly with pretty much everything, so I store them amongst their own. But Squidgy Bio-Tough and Z-man? I've wondered about that. Also Ecogear (non aqua, e.g. grass minnow) and Berkeley Powerbait?

Anyhow, before I embark on this exercise, I was wondering if any similarly naughty anglers know of compatible brands of plastics. I do need to sacrifice the odd lure (Z-mans rarely get destroyed, and the Bio Toughs are new) to do this, so if the knowledge is around already, I'd gladly take it!

• Like 1

31 minutes ago, kingie chaser said:

Just dont mix plastic like Z's that dont need to be kept moist with liquid like alive solution with Gulps that do.

Pretty simple.

Thanks kingie. I probably should provide more context.

Where I am coming from is being landbased, I don't have a boat with storage to store an extensive collection. Mostly, I'm limited to a couple of trays. I know your next suggestion might be to buy a boat, which I am contemplating but the COO has not yet provided her approval 🤣

My collection is currently segregated to compatible makes, but I was wondering what other brands could mix so as to provide further variety with limited space and weight. So the problem of how to have a reasonable variety of options vs minimising weight/volume is my reason for doing things the way I do.

Edited by Little_Flatty
  • Like 1

25 minutes ago, Little_Flatty said:

Thanks kingie. I probably should provide more context.

Where I am coming from is being landbased, I don't have a boat with storage to store an extensive collection. Mostly, I'm limited to a couple of trays. I know your next suggestion might be to buy a boat, which I am contemplating but the COO has not yet provided her approval 🤣

My collection is currently segregated to compatible makes, but I was wondering what other brands could mix so as to provide further variety with limited space and weight. So the problem of how to have a reasonable variety of options vs minimising weight/volume is my reason for doing things the way I do.

I keep mine in their original resealable bags but then, I probably carry too much gear! 😂 I lean towards Zman and Squidgies for durability. Gulp work well (perhaps more pickers incl. toadfish than other types) but they stink like bait and dry out if not placed back into Gulp juice. 🤷🏻‍♂️

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Berleyguts said:

I keep mine in their original resealable bags but then, I probably carry too much gear! 😂 I lean towards Zman and Squidgies for durability. Gulp work well (perhaps more pickers incl. toadfish than other types) but they stink like bait and dry out if not placed back into Gulp juice. 🤷🏻‍♂️

Thanks Baz,

Ah yes, you've reminded me. I've also discovered that most SPs (including Z-man) are compatible with your typical sandwich zip-loc bags from the supermarket. Just thought I'd share in case someone has discarded their original packets.

• Like 4

Z-Man's proprietary ElaZtech®   This is not compatible with anything including plastic tackle boxes.

Daiwa bait junkie and Samaki ( spider Prawn) are similar !!

Gulp needs to be kept in Gulp Juice.

A lot of harder plastics like Squidge and  Berkley  Powerbait wont melt. But colours may bleed into each other. Making some interesting combos !

• Like 1

54 minutes ago, bluefin said:

Z-Man's proprietary ElaZtech®   This is not compatible with anything including plastic tackle boxes.

Daiwa bait junkie and Samaki ( spider Prawn) are similar !!

Gulp needs to be kept in Gulp Juice.

A lot of harder plastics like Squidge and  Berkley  Powerbait wont melt. But colours may bleed into each other. Making some interesting combos !

I find Z-mans are fine in Plano tackle trays as long as they are marked 'worm proof'. My Samaki soft vibes get their own compartment in a tackle box (though I sometimes store them with my metals). Gulps stay in their containers of liquid (at home) then come out in a sealed lunchbox sans-juice.

I've been attracted by bait junkies but squeamish about adding another brand to my mix! Too complicated :D 

1 hour ago, Berleyguts said:

I lean towards Zman and Squidgies for durability.

Agree on the Z-mans but I find the squidgies get eaten rather easily! Unless you are talking about the Bio Tough variety, which I am starting to try.

I'm waiting for Z-man to produce 2 and 3-inch version of their jerk shads. That would be just what the doctor ordered...

42 minutes ago, bluefin said:

Presented with some other half-eaten lures."

I have an acquaintance who superglues uneaten halves together and catches fish on them !!!

Waste not want not !!     

Have thought about this :) I do melt my plastics back together with a lighter after a clobbering from a flatty, helps me get a few more casts out of them.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Interesting topic Little_Flatty. The forked tail of my Samaki vibe must have come into contact with one of my zman plastics! The tail is now all floppy, mushy and sticky, but the rest of the body seems to have avoided total meltdown 🤣. Cost me an arm and a leg, so I've been trying to find a solution to somehow make the plastic material harden again so the lure is still semi-usable. 

11 hours ago, undy said:

Interesting topic Little_Flatty. The forked tail of my Samaki vibe must have come into contact with one of my zman plastics! The tail is now all floppy, mushy and sticky, but the rest of the body seems to have avoided total meltdown 🤣. Cost me an arm and a leg, so I've been trying to find a solution to somehow make the plastic material harden again so the lure is still semi-usable. 

I won't risk my Samaki vibes like this at all, because they are so expensive. Likewise with Crankas etc. Maybe if any ever get 'tailored' I might donate it to the experiment.

1 minute ago, slothparade said:

Ive mixed savage prawns and gulps together and they are 100% fine. 

Thanks. I had a suspicion gulps will be fine with anything. As an additional benefit, it would add some scent.

I have read about hooks weakening in gulp liquid. Just watch out for this. If I remember right, the savage prawn does have hooks in it as part of its design.

3 minutes ago, Little_Flatty said:

I won't risk my Samaki vibes like this at all, because they are so expensive. Likewise with Crankas etc. Maybe if any ever get 'tailored' I might donate it to the experiment.

Thanks. I had a suspicion gulps will be fine with anything. As an additional benefit, it would add some scent.

I have read about hooks weakening in gulp liquid. Just watch out for this. If I remember right, the savage prawn does have hooks in it as part of its design.

nah the ones I have didn't come pre hooke. Ive left my hook in there since 2020 still fine 

not sure why savage gets such a bad rap. theyre cheap and they work 

id be careful thogh ive heard a lot of things saying never mix lures. maybe get a small tub and put a bit of juice and a cube of broken lure in? just incase something goes wrong you won't loose your whole ocntainer of juice and lures 

• Like 1