Selling an outboard best place to advertise ?

achjimmy

Look on facebook to see if you have a local sale group. I sold my car on StGeorge buy swap and sell and you get the option of advertising on other groups.  Some people like to deal with locals.  I was going to put my Quintrex Lazeabout on ebay and printed the add and put it on Woolies buletin board and had a buyer phoning me before I got home. 

Selling stuff can be funny game.  Make sure you get the payment in a safe way preferably cash and get id for big ticket items.  Good luck . Ron 

Just to add, is the motor still fitted to the boat? Being able to do a test run will help selling it (in my opinion) though some people are happy with the motor running on the hose at home or just sitting on a stand (but not me)

Here’s my experience over last 3yrs:

1999 merc 200hp EFI - advertised on gumtree and eBay. sold on eBay for $5999 (I factored the eBay fee in my price so net was the same). payment no risk, upfront and handled by eBay.

1998 mariner 15hp 4st - advertised on gumtree. Sold for $1900. Cash deposit on inspection and remaining cash on final pickup.

Boat, motor and trailer package. Advertised on gumtree and Boatsonline. Lots of enquiries from both, but buyer came through Boatsonline. Sold for over 50k. Payment via CheckVault escrow service - no risk but 0.89% fee - negligible.

my experience is different buyers look on different sites. For instance I’d never buy on FB market place - because I don’t use FB. You get low bidders and time wasters on all selling platforms- you know what you’re gear is worth so stick to your guns. Anyone that asks what’s your lowest price - reply with what’s your highest offer?

I agree with the other comments that it’s easiest to sell a motor if you can demonstrate it working- preferably on a water test. I also spoke to my marine mechanic and had a quote to remove the motor from my boat and immediately fit it to another transom. That way I could offer a simple solution to the buyer (at their cost) - tow both boats to mechanic- motor swapped- buyer drives off with fitted motor. Also if someone wants an inspection I insist on having their mobile number before giving out the inspection address.

Write a bill of sale, that details buyer, seller, goods (make, model serial number), purchase price, payment method, deposit amount etc and that states title of goods does not transfer to buyer until final payment cleared.

best of luck with it  

cheers Zoran 

Edited by zmk1962
  • Like 3

6 hours ago, zmk1962 said:

Here’s my experience over last 3yrs:

1999 merc 200hp EFI - advertised on gumtree and eBay. sold on eBay for $5999 (I factored the eBay fee in my price so net was the same). payment no risk, upfront and handled by eBay.

1998 mariner 15hp 4st - advertised on gumtree. Sold for $1900. Cash deposit on inspection and remaining cash on final pickup.

Boat, motor and trailer package. Advertised on gumtree and Boatsonline. Lots of enquiries from both, but buyer came through Boatsonline. Sold for over 50k. Payment via CheckVault escrow service - no risk but 0.89% fee - negligible.

my experience is different buyers look on different sites. For instance I’d never buy on FB market place - because I don’t use FB. You get low bidders and time wasters on all selling platforms- you know what you’re gear is worth so stick to your guns. Anyone that asks what’s your lowest price - reply with what’s your highest offer?

I agree with the other comments that it’s easiest to sell a motor if you can demonstrate it working- preferably on a water test. I also spoke to my marine mechanic and had a quote to remove the motor from my boat and immediately fit it to another transom. That way I could offer a simple solution to the buyer (at their cost) - tow both boats to mechanic- motor swapped- buyer drives off with fitted motor. Also if someone wants an inspection I insist on having their mobile number before giving out the inspection address.

Write a bill of sale, that details buyer, seller, goods (make, model serial number), purchase price, payment method, deposit amount etc and that states title of goods does not transfer to buyer until final payment cleared.

best of luck with it  

cheers Zoran 

^^^^^^^^This man knows his stuff.

Great reply mate.

• Thanks 1

Thanks guys , went with FB marketplace . Offered receipts and to run it . Looking like a guy will pay me a deposit tomorrow 🤞had a fair bit of interest as some would know motors aren’t easy to get atm. Looks like I’ll be repowering with a Yam 4 stroke which will suit us better for the type of boating we do .