So I tried something different...

Little_Flatty

So with all the rain in the system this past week, I mentioned in another thread that I probably needed to do something different to my usual Parra River lure chucking, to find a fish. It was suggested that Bream would be an ideal target, so Bream it would be!

The wife wasn't feeling 100% with a bit of a stomach bug last night, so I decided to get myself and my eldest out of her hair and get out early for a fish. My eldest is still learning the ropes, so a covered fishing area was deemed necessary and I also decided to go downriver a fair bit to find some cleaner water. So after a bit of a scout on Google Maps, Mosman Bay Wharf was decided upon as an ideal location. We thought this would be a good place to emulate @Isaac Ct with his bream on bread, so a cheap loaf of white bread was procured and we set off early in the morning.

I've never fished Mosman Bay before, but it certainly looks like a great spot. The wharf has a cafe on it and it's covered in the rain. When we got there, we read the signs and realised we couldn't fish the berthing platform, but as I explained to my eldest, the interesting places for the Bream to hide were actually closer to shore. We started berleying with pinched balls of bread, then we put some unweighted bread baits, squeezed onto a size 6 baitholder hook, under the wharf. Surprisingly, there was quite a bit of current in this side of the bay and this made bait presentation somewhat challenging (I like my bread baits to 'waft' naturally in the berley trail).

First hit was an undersized tailor, which snipped me off as I tried to lift it out of the water. Then, after a brief lull in the bite, something mouthed my bait and I tightened up, connecting to a fish. I didn't think it was a big fish at first, but then suddenly it woke up. The rod buckled and the drag started singing as the fish tried all manner of tricks to cut me off under the wharf. Thankfully I had a 10lb leader tied on from my flatty chase and the Bream Raider/Exceler 2000 outfit did its job superbly.

After a gnarly close-quarters fight, a nice bream came into the net:

image.png.ef392e76263564286a93e688cab6ee92.png

This one went straight into the esky for dinner. We stayed another half hour for one missed hit, then decided to call it a day. Still have most of a loaf of bread left, so might have another go later this weekend!

• Like 12

Nice bream.

With run-off from heavy rain, the current will be strongest on the outside of a bend in the river, even if only a slight bend. On the inside of the bend, the current is usually less.

With a lot of run-off after several days of heavy rain, such as is happening now, there may not be a lot of difference between sides.

• Like 3

10 hours ago, motiondave said:

well done, nice breambo, 

the basic loaf of bread for burly and bait pays off.

Certainly does! I call white bread 'maccas for fish', because whilst they love it, it can't be any good for them!

7 hours ago, Yowie said:

Nice bream.

With run-off from heavy rain, the current will be strongest on the outside of a bend in the river, even if only a slight bend. On the inside of the bend, the current is usually less.

With a lot of run-off after several days of heavy rain, such as is happening now, there may not be a lot of difference between sides.

Thanks Yowie. This was right up the back of a very long bay. There might be a drain at the start of it, or it could have just been the falling tide. I don't recall seeing so much run in other long bays (e.g. Iron Cove, Hen and Chicken Bay). I need to explore the area more. That might need to wait until next weekend.

6 hours ago, Rebel said:

Great report.

Well done.

Nice Bream.

Thanks Rebel.

5 hours ago, jenno64 said:

that's a horse!

I was happy with that fish for sure. It just fed a family of four! Not sure I've kept one that size before. Have caught bigger but they were all released, being Parra river fish.

When I was cleaning the fish I noticed a large chunk of oyster shell in its gut. Wow. These bream are tough!