Murrumbidgee unfishable again

big Neil

I went for a drive to the river this morning and got the surprise of my life. The river is about 2m deeper than last week, chocolate coloured, and running 100 miles an hour. A quick check of the dam levels showed the reason. Blowering at 94.9% and Burrinjuck at 93.4%. State water must be expecting a deluge in the catchment areas for the two supply dams and have released thousands of megalitres. This water will end up going out to sea South of Adelaide. So no fishing in the river again, even though we have had no serious rain for ages...unlike the rest of the State. Looks like a spot of Carp fishing in the channel is in order.

How much can a Koala bear?   bn, signing off...

• Like 3
  • Sad 2

Neil. I feel for you mate, just when we thought the river was coming good they do this to you.

Probably be a while before it clears up. The rains here have stopped but I don't know for how long.

At least it gave me the chance to whipper snip my foot long grass this morning , still too wet to run the mower over it but IF it doesn't rain overnight should be dry enough for tomorrow.

Mate keep your chin up and watch a few loud videos.

Frank

• Haha 3

2 minutes ago, frankS said:

Neil. I feel for you mate, just when we thought the river was coming good they do this to you.

Probably be a while before it clears up. The rains here have stopped but I don't know for how long.

At least it gave me the chance to whipper snip my foot long grass this morning , still too wet to run the mower over it but IF it doesn't rain overnight should be dry enough for tomorrow.

Mate keep your chin up and watch a few loud videos.

Frank

Good that we can still have a laugh eh Frank? I consider myself very lucky really. As I mentioned we have missed all of the deluges here in the Riverina, obviously the dams and their catchment areas haven't. I might have to check out the Edward River at Deniliquin next week, and go for a drive. Neil

• Like 2

37 minutes ago, motiondave said:

That's annoying. 

Is it your local river to fish? 

Yep Dave, it is. It's a major problem sometimes, living in an irrigation area where the weirs (4 of them) can change the flow in minutes. On the other hand it can produce really good conditions too. bn

On 3/10/2022 at 4:55 PM, big Neil said:

How much can a Koala bear?   

Better a Koala Bear than a Drop Bear.  🤣

Plenty of water up in the hills from the rain, so it flows downhill like other brown stuff. :074:

The fishing will be good again, one day.

• Haha 1

On 3/10/2022 at 4:55 PM, big Neil said:

I went for a drive to the river this morning and got the surprise of my life. The river is about 2m deeper than last week, chocolate coloured, and running 100 miles an hour. A quick check of the dam levels showed the reason. Blowering at 94.9% and Burrinjuck at 93.4%. State water must be expecting a deluge in the catchment areas for the two supply dams and have released thousands of megalitres. This water will end up going out to sea South of Adelaide. So no fishing in the river again, even though we have had no serious rain for ages...unlike the rest of the State. Looks like a spot of Carp fishing in the channel is in order.

How much can a Koala bear?   bn, signing off...

@big Neil sorry, I'm probably responsible.

The fishing gods must've known I'd be in the area very soon. Just my luck.

• Haha 1

5 hours ago, Chhayzor said:

@big Neil sorry, I'm probably responsible.

The fishing gods must've known I'd be in the area very soon. Just my luck.

LOL. When you think about it, no matter where you live, you can't just go fishing all the time. I had some relos who lived at the coast. I envied their location and the fact that they could go fishing when they felt like it. I visited them and stayed for a week. The reality was that they couldn't go fishing when they liked because of the weather/tide/storms/rain/heat and other factors too. I can go fishing ALL THE TIME, just not where I want to go. Opted for a quick trip to the canal last evening and had a bit of fun catching Carp.

Where are you going exactly and when? Fill me in with the details and I may be able to suggest something to suit your location/destination.

bn

• Like 1