Barra Monday!!!

Wildcat

Hey guys another NT report, left Darwin 3am this morning heading to one of our coastal creeks off shady camp sampan creek.

Arrived at shady camp barrage ramp 5.30am, 40min cruise up Sampan creek dodging crocks and logs in the dark then another 20min steam to our creek arrive 6.30am.

Cast for 4 hours straight dropping a few big girls along the way but finally landed a nice fat 93cm. Last picture is of a 3m crock 🐊 chasing the fish around the boat looking for a free feed.

Traveled 131km on the water, 85L fuel @ $224L, 6 cans and a 93 Barra.

Great day out how’s the serenity. 

F03899AA-126C-4572-A398-15AC16B2314E.jpeg

• Like 11

I didn't realise you could go that far upstream from the barrage. I only went about 15km in my little 3.85 explorer with my kids. I must admit I was a bit shocked when a commercial charter operator started banging what looked like an 80cm Barra against the side of the boat to hand feed crocs, made me nervous being in such a small boat with low freeboard.

Do you head downstream much ? I was a bit nervous about getting stranded with the family onboard given how many crocs we were seeing at the barrage in the evenings.

The sky turned brown with mosquitos each evening saying there, also a great spot for snakes after dark.

8 hours ago, JonD said:

I didn't realise you could go that far upstream from the barrage. I only went about 15km in my little 3.85 explorer with my kids. I must admit I was a bit shocked when a commercial charter operator started banging what looked like an 80cm Barra against the side of the boat to hand feed crocs, made me nervous being in such a small boat with low freeboard.

Do you head downstream much ? I was a bit nervous about getting stranded with the family onboard given how many crocs we were seeing at the barrage in the evenings.

The sky turned brown with mosquitos each evening saying there, also a great spot for snakes after dark.

Hey Jenno64

The Shady camp barrage is a man made weir or small dam wall (barrage) with fresh run off water upstream and tidal salt down stream on either side which slows down the run off fresh water entering the creek.

To access the coastal creeks off shore you head down stream out the mouth of Sampan creek.

Take a look at the pic fresh run off upstream on the left, salt tidal right e.g run off.

cheers mate.

001B85CC-203B-48EA-BCA5-937A2EA28141.jpeg

Just now, Wildcat said:

Hey Jenno64

The Shady camp barrage is a man made weir or small dam wall (barrage) with fresh run off water upstream and tidal salt down stream on either side which slows down the run off fresh water entering the creek.

To access the coastal creeks off shore you head down stream out the mouth of Sampan creek.

Take a look at the pic fresh run off upstream on the left, salt tidal right e.g run off.

cheers mate.

001B85CC-203B-48EA-BCA5-937A2EA28141.jpeg