Another lost off the rocks at Port Kembla

noelm

Just saw on the news that 4 people were washed off the rocks at Port Kembla (again) three rescued, one still missing, the search has been called off for the day. Tragic loss that might have been preventable!

Edited by noelm
  • Sad 4

Just to add, it looks like they were washed off the same spot at Hill 60 that has been mentioned dozens of times before. I saw a Helicopter buzzing around, but just assumed it was an ANZAC day thing.

I am pretty sure the news showed the location as being the same spot we discussed not that long ago. It's very popular and looks kind of safe and an ideal fishing spot, but it's not. The swell today is "long and lazy" which kind of means not big, but lots of water moving along.

• noelm changed the title to Another lost off the rocks at Port Kembla

Such a shame, another lost.

I met a guy a couple months back who was going fishing, the swell was sitting at about 2.1 and he was going to go fishing at a platform near the sea bridge in Stawell area. Despite telling him it’s dangerous and a large swell is about and getting bigger, he refused and said ‘I’ve been washed in once before’. And ‘it’s the only place where I get good size fish’. He only survived because a near by fisherman threw a angel ring in. He couldn’t and cannot still swim. Haven't seem him since.

Some people never learn

• Like 1

Yep, that appears to be the case, it's only a matter of time before they put some kind of ban on fishing there! When it's all said and done, the fishing is not that good, it's just convenient.

I'm a big one for people taking responsibility for their actions, but too many lives have been lost here. This fellow should be alive and well today. It might be time to ban fishing at this spot. Some people will fish there regardless, but if it saves one life it’s worth the ban. 

32 minutes ago, noelm said:

Yep, that appears to be the case, it's only a matter of time before they put some kind of ban on fishing there! When it's all said and done, the fishing is not that good, it's just convenient.

I got told while ago that a fence could be erected but pretty easy to cut a hole in it i also have complained to council about the rubbish down there and they said its the water boards land and the water board say its councils problem so i dont know who would pay for a fence.

3 hours ago, Jiggy said:

I'm a big one for people taking responsibility for their actions, but too many lives have been lost here. This fellow should be alive and well today. It might be time to ban fishing at this spot. Some people will fish there regardless, but if it saves one life it’s worth the ban. 

You dont go banning anything that is dangerous and risky, the correct approach is education.

• Like 1

14 hours ago, rickmarlin62 said:

What happened to cumpulsory lifejackets on the rocks

It is up to the local council's to enact that and get $$$ from the state govt for signage and education programs.

I think less than 10 have done so in NSW and pretty sure wollongong council are not amongst them.

I could solve all these people ending up in the drink simply by installing staino dynabolts with a ring into the rock so you can tie yourself off to the ring.I can promise you will never ever die!!!! (Multiple fishos could use the same ring).

If I was a rock fisho  I'd put a few in different places to tie off to.

It's not rocket science and would recommend it to anyone still alive that rock fishes.

All these people are dying unnessasary when the above is a simple solution that will hold you and keep you alive even in a hurricane.

Sadly these deaths that are happening is going to continue as more and more people have no idea how to use their common sense/slash brains.

• Like 4

Was saddened and shocked to see who had passed away as I had seen him (and I think his dad) posting on a local fb fishing group last week. I'm not saying ban the spot but something more needs to be done as too many people are losing their lives there.

• Like 1

It doesn't matter how many fences are built, how many signs in every language or anything else, people will continue to fish there, and people will continue to perish. I have described the problem with the location in a previous post about the same thing. I have dived, fished and boated around there for many decades. It's another tragic, mostly preventable loss of life, condolences to the family left behind, according to the news, the person was in his 20s.

3 minutes ago, noelm said:

It doesn't matter how many fences are built, how many signs in every language or anything else, people will continue to fish there, and people will continue to perish. I have described the problem with the location in a previous post about the same thing. I have dived, fished and boated around there for many decades. It's another tragic, mostly preventable loss of life, condolences to the family left behind, according to the news, the person was in his 20s.

Agree 1000% mate.Sadly it will continue to happen no matter what unless these people tie themselves off.

Like I said if I rock fishes I would tie myself off even if I had 100yrs rock fishing experience as all it takes is going in the drink once.

• Like 1

17 hours ago, Fab1 said:

Sadly these deaths that are happening is going to continue as more and more people have no idea how to use their common sense/slash brains.

I read a report on surveys that Randwick Council did around mandatory lifejackets...

2013 survey: Swimming ability 26% for over 1 hour, 29% up to 1 hour, 30% Swim 15 minutes, 7% Swim 1 minute, 8% Cannot float or swim . . . . . 

so 45% of ppl surveyed could not swim for 15 minutes . . . . . 

2017 survey: Swimming ability 28% for over 1 hour, 14% up to 1 hour, 48% Swim 15 minutes, 5% Swim 1 minute, 5% Cannot float or swim

nearly 60% of ppl couldn't swim for 15 minutes.

What are ppl doing rock fishing if they cannot swim?????

• Like 1

Sadly it's just a fact if life, right or wrong, that's just how it is! I have been involved in a couple of searches at this spot, and sadly, one body search (that I found) it will never stop. Ban fishing there? who will enforce the law 24 hours a day? make it mandatory to wear a life jacket? we have stop signs and speed limits, yet thousands get caught ignoring them. better education? Sure, but, how do you educate everybody, and will they take the information? I doubt it. lots more signs? yeah great idea, but, who will take heed? Rock fishing can be fun and productive, this location by its very shape makes it dangerous, add to that it's a very popular spot with the migrant population, and it's a recipe for disaster. I personally feel no amount of government intervention will help.

17 hours ago, Fab1 said:

I could solve all these people ending up in the drink simply by installing staino dynabolts with a ring into the rock so you can tie yourself off to the ring.I can promise you will never ever die!!!! (Multiple fishos could use the same ring).

If I was a rock fisho  I'd put a few in different places to tie off to.

It's not rocket science and would recommend it to anyone still alive that rock fishes.

All these people are dying unnessasary when the above is a simple solution that will hold you and keep you alive even in a hurricane.

I agree with this 100%. Same as tradies working on a roof, harnesses and their correct usage are proven life savers.

Down where I am around Jervis Bay, rock fishos installed rings just as you describe at a few notorious rock platforms. The powers that be (national park rangers) removed them and when questioned as to why, they stated it gave fishermen a false sense of security and they would fish these places when they shouldn't. No amount of reasoning could change their minds.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Burger said:

I read a report on surveys that Randwick Council did around mandatory lifejackets...

2013 survey: Swimming ability 26% for over 1 hour, 29% up to 1 hour, 30% Swim 15 minutes, 7% Swim 1 minute, 8% Cannot float or swim . . . . . 

so 45% of ppl surveyed could not swim for 15 minutes . . . . . 

2017 survey: Swimming ability 28% for over 1 hour, 14% up to 1 hour, 48% Swim 15 minutes, 5% Swim 1 minute, 5% Cannot float or swim

nearly 60% of ppl couldn't swim for 15 minutes.

What are ppl doing rock fishing if they cannot swim?????

Sadly many ethnic races venture out on the rocks fishing when we all know they shouldn't be swimming In their bath tub let alone the ocean rocks.

THEY CAN'T SWIM!!!

1 hour ago, noelm said:

Sadly it's just a fact if life, right or wrong, that's just how it is! I have been involved in a couple of searches at this spot, and sadly, one body search (that I found) it will never stop. Ban fishing there? who will enforce the law 24 hours a day? make it mandatory to wear a life jacket? we have stop signs and speed limits, yet thousands get caught ignoring them. better education? Sure, but, how do you educate everybody, and will they take the information? I doubt it. lots more signs? yeah great idea, but, who will take heed? Rock fishing can be fun and productive, this location by its very shape makes it dangerous, add to that it's a very popular spot with the migrant population, and it's a recipe for disaster. I personally feel no amount of government intervention will help.

I can tell you right now in capital letters.......NONE OF WHAT YOU MENTION WON'T STOP PEOPLE PERISHING THERE OR ANY OTHER ROCK PLATFORM.THE ONLY ONE THAT CAN KEEP YOU ALIVE IS YOU.

58 minutes ago, Green Hornet said:

I agree with this 100%. Same as tradies working on a roof, harnesses and their correct usage are proven life savers.

Down where I am around Jervis Bay, rock fishos installed rings just as you describe at a few notorious rock platforms. The powers that be (national park rangers) removed them and when questioned as to why, they stated it gave fishermen a false sense of security and they would fish these places when they shouldn't. No amount of reasoning could change their minds.

Those rangers are imbecilles.Those rings give you "100% security".Yes a wave might bowl you over and you loose your gear...but you'll still be alive with a couple of grazes /scratches.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Rebel said:

Where is the NSW Government, again. Life jackets should be law,when rock fishing and Angel rings should also be law.

There is a ring there, and as mentioned a dozen times, you can legislate all you like, unless it's enforced, it's just words and signs.

• Like 1