Minimum size spinning reel for 80lb topwater stickbaits/poppers

couch fisho

It depends on your definition of 80lb.

If this is your PE main line rating (PE8), then the reel will need to be in the 14000 - 18000 size to get enough line lay on the spool.

If you are referring to the leader fluro at 80lb, then your main line is probably PE3-PE4 then a 6000-8000 size reel will be the best fit.

Im guessing your after GT, so ive bassed the gear off of that. To givea more trageted advice, will need more information.

penn slammer 10500 or a 9500. theyre both absolute tanks and perfect to run extremely heavy line. I run a slammer 10500 on a popping rod and love it, though its on the heavy side, it doesnt matter me. 

if you want shimano or dawia, look at the 14,000 saltist ot saltiga, or the 24,000 saragosa, twin power or stella. 

You could go as small as a 10000, 10k reels should hold 300m of pe5 and the saltiga 12 braid in pe5 has a breaking strain of 88lbs. The decent 10k reels all have 15kg+ of drag and only weigh around 600 grams I'd only move up to the 18k if you really need 300m of pe8, 120lb line and 20kg+ of drag for chasing monster GT 

Edited by Ken_Oath

I have 400m of Shimano ocea pe 5 (89lb breaking strain braid) on a 10000 saragosa and also on a 10000 twin power, both have good amounts of mamoi diamond 50lb mono topshot too. Mamoi 50lb mono has a true breaking strain of 83lb. These reels have been big enough for the bluefin and marlin I encounter out of Narooma, never broken off a fish so far.

• Like 1

I have a spare spool that will fit twin power, Saragossa and Stellas. Its fits all those reels in the 8000-12000 size, that way I can easily swap my pe rating if I need to on tropicals over shallow reef.

IMG_6357.thumb.jpg.2ec2cccc95852e64a11e7b0e8d6ccfeb.jpg