Sydney Squiding

bobthelob2341

Recently I’ve been really getting to squiding/eging. Mainly focusing on green eyes rather than arrow squid, and have been getting some solid results down the south coast but have decided to try Sydney waters again after a long hiatus. 

Tried some spots around 4-6m depth using 3.0-3.5 size jigs in various colours with some good results in the early morning. Favourite colours being black with red foil and green flashboost jigs. As the sun came up we moved into deeper water off the cliffs around 12-20m, this move produces resulting in multiple large squids, same jigs just added a small ball sinker to aid the jig in sinking faster. 

A good session considering the size and amount caught in a short period of time in the highly pressured waters of Sydney.

FEEBA059-642F-4CF4-BB93-82206F9A764D.thumb.jpeg.7e2cbefdf151f4a810e0b0cccde53ed6.jpeg

• Like 10

12 hours ago, papafish said:

Well done!!! Love to get into Squidding!! Try so many times and ended up with donuts😂😂

It’s good fun when you get the hang of it, just like soft plastics fishing but no bycatch.

5 hours ago, bessell1955 said:

That is indeed a great catch.

Thanks mate

2 hours ago, Isaac Ct said:

That's a great haul of squid, those will be tasty tasty or if you use them for bait good bait. Well done.

Kept the bigger ones for eating and vacuum sealed the smaller ones for kingfish bait.

• Like 1

27 minutes ago, jenno64 said:

Great haul there, how was the water clarity where you were fishing?

The water was pretty clear out of Port Hacking, could easily see the bottom in 5m and out further the water was a nice clean blue. Not sure how it will be after all this rain though. 

• 2 weeks later...
On 5/21/2022 at 2:54 PM, bobthelob2341 said:

Recently I’ve been really getting to squiding/eging. Mainly focusing on green eyes rather than arrow squid, and have been getting some solid results down the south coast but have decided to try Sydney waters again after a long hiatus. 

Tried some spots around 4-6m depth using 3.0-3.5 size jigs in various colours with some good results in the early morning. Favourite colours being black with red foil and green flashboost jigs. As the sun came up we moved into deeper water off the cliffs around 12-20m, this move produces resulting in multiple large squids, same jigs just added a small ball sinker to aid the jig in sinking faster. 

A good session considering the size and amount caught in a short period of time in the highly pressured waters of Sydney.

FEEBA059-642F-4CF4-BB93-82206F9A764D.thumb.jpeg.7e2cbefdf151f4a810e0b0cccde53ed6.jpeg

Nice session mate, in deeper water do you just run the ball sinker all the way down to the jig or do you use a swivel? I mainly squid in 4-6m but keen to try some deeper water when the new boat arrives...

1 hour ago, onearmedfisho said:

Nice session mate, in deeper water do you just run the ball sinker all the way down to the jig or do you use a swivel? I mainly squid in 4-6m but keen to try some deeper water when the new boat arrives...

Thanks mate, I used a running sinker to my snap swivel and connected the squid jig on to it makes it easier to change jigs to try different colours.

• Like 1