Hardbodies

Guest madsmc

Hi Raiders

With the proliferation of soft plastics it would seem that hard body lures have been largely overlooked in recent times. I myself have been guilty of SP mania, and I'm planning to mend my ways somewhat by adding some hard body lures to the arsenal. I have managed a few decent captures on SP's but would dearly love to add a few species to the (so far non-existant) list of HB captures.

My question to you all is what hard bodies do you use, and on what species do you use them. I am primarily interested in B&B species (bream, flathead, whiting etc) and also the elusive mulloway, but if you can tell us any stories about other/weird HB captures that would be good as well. :biggrin2:

Any general tips as to the use of hard bodies (retrieves, rigging up etc) would be much appreciated, I have a fair idea on their correct usage, but every bit of info helps.

Shane

:1fishing1:

I've become a fan of the SX40. Caught my first Bream on a HB then the next day landed a few Bass when all else failed. Also caught Flathead on them.

You only need to retreive slowly , they have a great wiggle on them.

I use a variety of hard plastic lures for bream and flathead. I have deception paelomon, cheap as chips producer lures in a variety of patterns from crawdads to minnows I usually adjust the bib with sand paper on these to get the action I want test them in swimming pool and at about $5.00 - $7.00 each I dont mind so much if I lose it as compared to an $18.00 lure. I also use bill norman and rebel lures.

As mentioned with the producers I usually test all lures in a pool so I can see the action at differen retrieval speeds. NB best done when pool is empty

Cheers

Trev

SX 40s and SX48s are great I have caught just as many bream on hb lures as I have sps. That pink smilin jack one swordfisherman uses looks good to. For Jewies I use rapala CD18s in the mullet colour but plastics are much more productive and Ive been trying surface poppers as well but no luck..................yet

Edited by Sharky

For bream I reckon you can't go past Ecogear SX-40's & SX-48's.

I tried all the other popular brands & they all took fish but the Ecogear HB's were head & shoulders above the rest.

A couple examples :biggrin2:

post-1-1137142113_thumb.jpg

post-1-1137142136_thumb.jpg

I'm with Ken A on this one. :biggrin2:

The Ecogear SX 40's & 48's are just one step above all when it comes to fishing bibbed hard bodied lures in an estuary situation.

They even kick butt in the fresh on trout.

Not the cheapest of lures but definately pay their way when it comes to hooking up fish. :thumbup:

I'm finding that I'm using hard bodies more than plastics lately and it certainly makes for a welcome change. :1fishing1:

Edited by Hooky.

Cheers for the advice all. :thumbup:

I have made a few purchases so far (RMG's etc), but I think I will have to lash out and get few of the Eco SX's. From the sounds of it they are a pretty productive lure. Some nice bream captures there Ken. I don't mind paying the extra bucks if that is the sort of fish I can expect.

Think I might give those "poopers" a miss though Sharky. :074: My :wife: complains enough about how I smell after a fishing session. :biggrin2:

Shane

:1fishing1:

• 4 weeks later...

I've got a Knol's Minnow sitting in my lure box for the longest time, took it out for a spin yesterday. Casted to a weedy looking area hoping to latch onto a bream, but the lizard got to it first after 2 cranks... a good first impression... will probably use it somemore...

post-1073-1139623783_thumb.jpg