Spots for bream or trevs

AlbertW

Hey raiders,

I'm looking for any spots that are in the sydney area, (I can probably do up to an hours drive) that are good for bream or trevs on soft plastics, since it's the holidays I'll be able to fish a little more frequently and I want to develop my lure fishing as I'm getting pretty comfortable with flatties and the general basis of how to work lures. Any info like what lures to use or the general location is appreciated as I've never caught bream on lures before.

Thanks,

Albert

18 minutes ago, maccapacca said:

Hey mate,

Although I don’t do much lure fishing now, my friends and I have landed a few decent fish at five dock bay, it’s a shallow mudflat area filled with flathead and bream.

My friends frequently catch 40cm bream there on cubed pillies but I’m sure lures would work to, If you want to go the soft plastic route for them I’d think of 2.5” Slim swimz and Grubz on a light jighead and that should go well.

There’s this YouTuber called Shroom who makes videos fishing lures and he has a podcast on Spotify going through techniques,lures and everything you’d need to catch specifically bream.

Cheers, M

Cheers Macca, I've been watching shroom for some time now and I've seen him go to five dock bay in his videos but I wasn't able to find the name of five dock bay but now I have thanks to you.

Thanks,

Albert

3 hours ago, AlbertW said:

Hey raiders,

I'm looking for any spots that are in the sydney area, (I can probably do up to an hours drive) that are good for bream or trevs on soft plastics, since it's the holidays I'll be able to fish a little more frequently and I want to develop my lure fishing as I'm getting pretty comfortable with flatties and the general basis of how to work lures. Any info like what lures to use or the general location is appreciated as I've never caught bream on lures before.

Thanks,

Albert

Im not sure where you are located but typically you shouldnt have to travel that far for bream. Your local salt water estuary should hold plenty of bream. Try to fish within 2 hours of the high tide, run in tide or run out. Its not essential but given you are landbased you will have more accessibility to more fish. Usually the bream will move out to deeper water on the low tide.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, AlbertW said:

Hey raiders,

Thanks,

Albert

green point reserve is a known trevally, salmon  spot, not many bream during the day there,  fish the rocks  where you see others fishing , theres always someone there

1 hour ago, leonardgid said:

green point reserve is a known trevally, salmon  spot, not many bream during the day there,  fish the rocks  where you see others fishing , theres always someone there

Ahh alright, do metals work there? I want to try to hook a salmon 

One additional area is the Cooks River, starting at Kyeemagh and further up the river. Trawling the reports over the years seems to suggest that it is a good Trev spot. Not sure why, and I've never caught one there myself, but just seems like there are a lot caught there.

• Like 1

13 hours ago, AlbertW said:

Cheers Macca, I've been watching shroom for some time now and I've seen him go to five dock bay in his videos but I wasn't able to find the name of five dock bay but now I have thanks to you.

Thanks,

Albert

Check The Digital Cinema here. You will find Swordie and Shroom in some of his videos. 

• Like 1

most areas hold bream, around wharves, jetties and bridges cast up against the pylons and sink your lure down along them bream will most often pick it up on the drop.

Bream are a lot more fickle than flathead so you need to make sure your lure sinks nice and naturally on slack line, and subtle twitches of the lure when working it

I use zman 2.5 inch grubz and slim swimz in bloodworm and greasy prawn, scents like sfactor definitely make a difference , my main jighead is a 1/16th oz #2 HD but I range between a 1/12th to a 1/20th depending on the depth current and wind, you can go heavier that's just my preference.

A long light leader is a must for urban bream you can usually get away with 8lb but 6lb is better it can just get nerve racking with a solid fish

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

I'd second the Cooks using the gear dirvin21 suggested, but look at using smaller lures too like the Zmanz grubz in 2" or some crab/crustacean imitations. A wee tip: pop a dab of super glue to attach the lure to the jighead and that can increase your hook-up rate. Colour-wise I've found darker browns, greens and reds work well. 

Fishing a river/estuary is really good practice for gauging current and sinking speed and should improve your overall lure game. I've had quite a few fish in the last few days with the lure just trundling along the bottom of the river in the current and a couple of very gentle hops.

Good luck! Looking forward to seeing how you get on!