Drummer Spots

Drunkenfisho

Hey guys, this winter I'm looking to get into drummer fishing a bit more, and was wondering for some spots around Wollongong, I've got a decent spot for weed and cunji but now just need to find the drummer. I have got a few drummer spots but there a little to far to drive to for an arvo's fishing

Thanks

Drummer can be caught almost anywhere, but as a rule, harder to get to spots fish better (naturally) peeled Royal Red Prawns, bread and Cungi tend to be the best bait, about a number 1 hook and a tiny sinker, or better still no sinker at all.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Chicken layer pellets for burley along with the bread will bring any Drummer around and get them interested. There is also a burley powder called prawn powder which is great to add to your burley mixture. Anywhere there is cunje there will be Drummer including close inside estuary mouths.

I put up a post of 'Fishing at Burning Palms' that goes into a bit of detail about Drummer but the Palms might be a bit far for you to go

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, wazatherfisherman said:

Chicken layer pellets for burley along with the bread will bring any Drummer around and get them interested. There is also a burley powder called prawn powder which is great to add to your burley mixture. Anywhere there is cunje there will be Drummer including close inside estuary mouths.

I put up a post of 'Fishing at Burning Palms' that goes into a bit of detail about Drummer but the Palms might be a bit far for you to go

where  or how do i find your article 'Fishing at Burning Palms please mate?

Thanks everyone, the cunji spot is actually below a jetty, and only seems to hold smaller drummer, I have nailed a few in the past, and have seen many a pig whilst snorkelling, but everywhere I snorkell is usually impractical for fishing😂

2 minutes ago, wazatherfisherman said:

Hi Leonardgid it's in Waza's Yarns if you scroll down from the home page to the Public Bar section then down to the Library - it's alongside Articles

WOW!  i just had a quick look , all sorts of goodies there , plenty of good reading by the looks of it , i sure will  got through it all , thaaaank you!!

• Like 1

54 minutes ago, noelm said:

Drummer can be caught almost anywhere, but as a rule, harder to get to spots fish better (naturally) peeled Royal Red Prawns, bread and Cungi tend to be the best bait, about a number 1 hook and a tiny sinker, or better still no sinker at all.

My mate and I have freezers full of royal reds for our next session! Now just need to get out there and explore

Royal Reds are my go to bait, because lots of other species eat them, Bream, Blackfish, Trevally, all sorts of by catch are on offer. Cungi is good, because you can get it right where you fish (observe restrictions and methods) bread is convenient and works a treat too.

• Like 1

You may find fishos little wary of giving out suggestions for rock fishing spots because we have no way of gauging your experience in fishing from the rocks . If you have zero experience I would recommend you go with a guide or at least someone who has a decent amount of experience - maybe from a fishing club or the like .

There is one spot down there that I will beg you to avoid -hill 60 as it has claimed a lot of lives recently and NO fish is worth dying for .

• Like 4

5 hours ago, XD351 said:

You may find fishos little wary of giving out suggestions for rock fishing spots because we have no way of gauging your experience in fishing from the rocks . If you have zero experience I would recommend you go with a guide or at least someone who has a decent amount of experience - maybe from a fishing club or the like .

There is one spot down there that I will beg you to avoid -hill 60 as it has claimed a lot of lives recently and NO fish is worth dying for .

Hey mate, I've got a far bit of rock fishing experience, mainly for bonnies and sambos in summer and autumn though not particularly for drummer. Can gladly say I've never had any troubles, but agree %100 with what you said about hill 60. I avoid large exposed rock platforms like hill 60 for fishing for obvious reasons, and if I ever do fish there I observe the swell and wear a life jacket