Casual afternoon session in Hen and Chicken Bay

Little_Flatty

Today I had a day off work. Spent most of it with my parents and my youngest, but managed to sneak in an hour or so on the water with my dad after lunch in Hen and Chicken Bay near Bayview Park, Concord. Got to love the trusty telescopic outfit!

The tide was low so I didn't like my chances. Nevertheless, managed to snag a 41cm flatty in something like 20cm of water, which gave me the shock of my life. It was caught on a 3 inch Savage Gear jerkbait (colour motor oil), rigged on a size 4 jighead in 1/16oz.

image.png.fddab7d1b47a671f96bccaab0188337b.png

Flatty was released after this photo. No more hits the rest of the session, but I was happy enough with that. Sometimes you just got to give it a shot - in spite of the conditions - and dumb luck might just take your side, for once!

I have a sneaking suspicion that the low tide shallows might present an opportunity to get a surface bite from a flathead. Some food for thought 🤔

• Like 11

I love how you always find an opportunity for a fish. I have had that happen to me. I was aimlessly casting in the shallows around Maianbar in the crystal clear water one day when a flatty jumped at it my soft plastic and gave me a shock. I missed him the first time but hooked up on the second cast!

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Squidless said:

I love how you always find an opportunity for a fish. I have had that happen to me. I was aimlessly casting in the shallows around Maianbar in the crystal clear water one day when a flatty jumped at it my soft plastic and gave me a shock. I missed him the first time but hooked up on the second cast!

Yep, they certainly can creep up on you! I think this is the shallowest I have caught a flatty. I too have had experiences where I have got a visual on them and then hooked them after several attempts. When they are hungry enough, they aren't shy at all.

1 hour ago, maccapacca said:

Nice flatty, caught one just like it only a bit bigger around five dock a while back.Also how do you find your telescopic combo?

Cheers, M

Thanks. My telescopic outfit is a Shimano Maikuro 3-5kg with a Shimano Sedona 3000. 10lb braid. It's a heavier line class than I'd like to fish, but the Maikuro was at a reasonable price and I still haven't gotten round to repairing my travel rod (project for the next fortnight or so). There's basically no comparison between the telescopic outfit and my one and two piece rods, but if I didn't have a travel outfit of sorts permanently in the car, I'd miss out on so many opportunities to fish!

Complaints aside, I have no problems casting the 1/16th jighead + 3 inch plastic (both pictured in my original post) about 20m over the flats.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Isaac Ct said:

Great stuff mate, never know where the fish will be, that is half the fun. Hopefully I can get onto some tomorrow morning as I am heading out realy early.

Good luck! Last day before the rains come! I will try for a pre-work session myself, but 50/50 as to whether I get out. 

8 minutes ago, Yowie said:

I have seen flatties in shallow, one was about 60cm long in around 10cms of water. Nearly trod on him as I was wading along, so they will go shallow looking for food.

That would've given you a fright! It never ceases to amaze me where you will find big fish.

8 minutes ago, Pickles said:

Great report @Little_Flatty, a “day off” well spent.

Thanks Bob. The right combination of activities for sure!

10 hours ago, Little_Flatty said:

That would've given you a fright! It never ceases to amaze me where you will find big fish.

I was wading in water half way up my shins, throwing out into deeper water, and the flattie was behind me in the very shallow water.

• Like 2