First Time Going Wide

bobthelob2341

First day of the school holidays we decided to push out wide to Browns Mountain for the first time in search of blue eye cod and gemfish. 

Started off a 5:30am collecting yellowtail and slimey mackerel at the artificial in Botany Bay and made the 40km journey out wide. The conditions were decent so we cruised at 17knts and reached the marks within an hour or so. After some fiddling around with the electric reel and finding our drift, I sounded over a nice patch of fish/bait and dropped the rig down 370m to meet the fish. The rod tip quickly began to bounce and eventually loaded up nicely, flicked the switch and the fish came up to the surface within a few minutes. Up came and nice sized gemfish and smaller blue eye cod. We stuck around for another 30min but couldn’t find anymore fish, raced back to some inshore reefs to find a kingfish and managed to get a few legals before the wind picked up. 

Overall it was a good day learning how to use the electric reel and build confidence in heading out wide, next up is to find a tuna in the deep blue. 2C75EA47-6664-4F27-8F23-427D352D2636.thumb.jpeg.f41f2097ec29d278f31b44071e77fb61.jpeg

• Like 13

I'm sure you will benefit from the experiences learned from your trip as you venture out in pursuit of Tuna and other such critters of the deep. Good luck, safe travels. Which fish is the better eating? bn

• Like 1

41 minutes ago, big Neil said:

I'm sure you will benefit from the experiences learned from your trip as you venture out in pursuit of Tuna and other such critters of the deep. Good luck, safe travels. Which fish is the better eating? bn

The Blue Eye is superior by a long way, Gemfish are OK, but not in the same class (in my opinion)

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

4 hours ago, big Neil said:

Cheers, mate the blue eye was definately better eating than the gemfish, lightly fried the cutlets of the blue eye were delicious. 

4 hours ago, leonardgid said:

choice  feed , wish i  could fish there  one day

It has been on my mind for a while and finally saw a good day to venture out, it is well worth the trip not sure about the fuel bill however. 

3 hours ago, Squidless said:

Nice fish. What boat do you have?

Cheers mate, I have an Extreme 605 Gameking 

2 hours ago, Isaac Ct said:

Great fish mate, some tasty critters in that box.

Well done.

Thanks mate, I'm hoping to get some more in the coming months. 

1 hour ago, jenno64 said:

Wow, big trip in the recent weather!

a brace of good eating fish and I’m sure there will be more once the weather improves!

38 minutes ago, Rebel said:

Great report.

Well done.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Jp2 said:

Gee wiz, u must have some big kahunas heading out in that slop on Monday!! Better stomach than me!! Congrats 

Haha I'm not that keen to head out on the conditions that we had on monday, this was a belated report from last Wednesday, where the winds were a predicted 8knts and swell was 1.0m, however the weatherman was wrong and it started blowing a 15knt north west on the way in. 

• Like 3