Casting Coconut Rigs

Drunkenfisho

Hey guys...

I am looking to get new rod for throwing coco rigs and know a good heavy rod is good for this, and am looking at a 10ft 10-15kg rod for this purpose. I have a few 9ft 6-8 and 6-10kg rods but they seem to struggle casting the heavy cocos. The question is, can a 10ft also be used for throwing big lures like poppers and divers comfortably? Or is it unconventional?

I usually target the usual rock pelagic like bonnies and mack tunas but will a decent lure be able to be used effectively on a 10ft?

Edited by Drunkenfisho

Most of my rods are 10ft for casting lures off the stone. Personally I like the 9'6, but for the specs I wanted at the time, the only options were 10'0's.

You get used to it after a while, the only issue you get is when you're on a ledge where the wall is directly behind you and you end up hitting the tip of the rod on the rock, but there aren't too many places like this anyways.

5 hours ago, leonardgid said:

15 kg rod  should be able to do  all that  and more , like lifting  bonnies without the need for a net/gaff

1 hour ago, Rob81 said:

Most of my rods are 10ft for casting lures off the stone. Personally I like the 9'6, but for the specs I wanted at the time, the only options were 10'0's.

You get used to it after a while, the only issue you get is when you're on a ledge where the wall is directly behind you and you end up hitting the tip of the rod on the rock, but there aren't too many places like this anyways.

Ok thanks...might go for the 10ft

When using coconut rigs the only major action I use is a jerk and constant reel.

Coconut rigs are great as they provide the same excitement as surface fishing because you can see the fish smash it, but is also a lot more affordable compared to buying expensive poppers and surface lures 

12 minutes ago, Rob81 said:

Coconut works well, just gets tiring after a period of time. 

That's right, but a good bag of fish makes you forget your cramped shoulders!

Edited by Drunkenfisho
Spelling
  • Haha 1