Fish Finder On A Tinny?

scottish

Hey,

i was just wondering if anyone knew how to or had any ideas how to attact a fish finder on to my tinny. i was considering puting one on but had no idea how, or if it could be done!

if anyone has a similar boat with one on i would appreciate their ideas. it is a stacer 420 seahorse post-1517-1137027617_thumb.jpg

thanks

i just bolted the unit to the side of the back seat so it ws facing the driver and the transducer sat off the back (drilled holes in the tramson and attached it proper with bolts, the cables just ran over the enge next to the engine bay)

Seeing as I would take the tinny out myself, it seemed to be the best place to use it

Some sounders have a bracket that can spin around, so you can also point it to the front of the boat if you like casting from there..

make sure you bolt the parts to the aluminium properly.

I.e There is a paste you need to buy apparently..(cant remember what it is, but any boat shop will tell you) that you use use to cover your bolts so the steel from the bolts, doesn't react to the aluminium and start rusting!!

IN terms of mounting it to the seat, i just used four normal self tapping bolts and they held it fine, i guess if you want to do it really well then you could put in a butterfly bolt, but this was too much hassle for me.

make sure you pick up all the metal shavings after drilling, as they can help corrosion to start ( i was told that lead sinkers and metal shavings were some of the biggest culprets)

Hey,

i was just wondering if anyone knew how to or had any ideas how to attact a fish finder on to my tinny. i was considering puting one on but had no idea how, or if it could be done!

if anyone has a similar boat with one on i would appreciate their ideas. it is a stacer 420 seahorse post-1517-1137027617_thumb.jpg

thanks

Hi guys,

I've a sounder on my 11' tinnie and it works great.

My sounder is just a basic Eagle model that I originally set up on a 15' canoe, and then used on my Porta boat.

I mount the transducer to the transom of my tinnie using a cheap Eagle rubber suction cup accessory -- it works fine, holds fast if you push it on firmly.

The display is mounted up the front of the boat, to the side on the front seat. I made a wooden base, then used counter sunk bolts to fix the display bracket to the base. To secure the base to the seat I just used adhesive backed velpro (it's cheaper if you buy at Spotlight).

Cheap and simple.

Regards,

Bob

Edited by kenmare

Scottish,

there has been some good info here that will help you get the job done. I have put a sounder on both tinnies I owned, the 1st one I had was similar to yours, its easy as, if I can do it, anyone can. Just read the instructions for the wiring to make sure you get the distant right away from the motor and angle of the transducer the correct way, set up the battery and things should be sweet. Its really straight forward, plan where it will go and if the position is suitable, imagine the position of the sounder when you are fishing and if it will get in the way or not. Sounders are a great asset for any type of fishing, finding structure, bait, fish drop offs, it'll be another world, read up well and you should get alot out of the sounder.

Just be sure to fix the transducer cable to the transom, you dont want the transducer flying into the boat at 200kph if it hits a log or something.

Steer away from the suction type mount, they can be quite dangerous.

Take your tinny to engeneering shop and get them to weld a peice of aluminium channel on the transom, drill holes on that and not your boat, prolly only cost you $20

Hope this helps.

Cheers, Allan

Just be sure to fix the transducer cable to the transom, you dont want the transducer flying into the boat at 200kph if it hits a log or something.

Steer away from the suction type mount, they can be quite dangerous.

Take your tinny to engeneering shop and get them to weld a peice of aluminium channel on the transom, drill holes on that and not your boat, prolly only cost you $20

Hope this helps.

Cheers, Allan

Hi Allan,

I'm not sure why you believe suction mounts are dangerous. I've used mine for years: first on my porta boat (where it was necessary to set-up and remove the sounder gear each time the boat was used) and more recently on my tinny.

I secure the transducer with a length of strong cord, in case it comes off the transom; but that's rarely happened, even in difficult conditions, and when the transducer has come off it just trails in the water behind the boat.

And it's a breeze to strip the sounder gear from the boat if you need to have some leaks welded (yes, I bought a cheapie second-hand tinny).

To each their own, but for a cheap, simple solution, suction-cups work. No drilling holes in your boat or welding involved.

Regards,

Bob

Edited by kenmare

G'day Bob,

The tinny in question is a 420 Seahorse with what looks to be about a 25 or 30 hp motor on it, this boat will be capable of doing around 40kph maybe a bit more, I have had a transducer bump a floating piece of debris at this speed and beleive me it came into the boat at 200kph, it left a big dent in the rear thwart about 5 inches from where I was sitting, I reckon it could kill you if it hit you on the head or at least serious injury.

I wasnt trying to be a smart arse if it came across that way, I was just speaking from personal experience.

Cheers, Allan

G'day Bob,

The tinny in question is a 420 Seahorse with what looks to be about a 25 or 30 hp motor on it, this boat will be capable of doing around 40kph maybe a bit more, I have had a transducer bump a floating piece of debris at this speed and beleive me it came into the boat at 200kph, it left a big dent in the rear thwart about 5 inches from where I was sitting, I reckon it could kill you if it hit you on the head or at least serious injury.

I wasnt trying to be a smart arse if it came across that way, I was just speaking from personal experience.

Cheers, Allan

Hi Allan,

Yes, I guess the term "tinny" means different types of boats to different people.

My 11' dingy's powered by a 4 hp Mercury, and can manage 12 kph with one on board (significantly less with two).

So I can see how you would need to fix the transducer to the transom of your boat differently.

Regards,

Bob

Edited by kenmare

Guest the doc

Mate i have a 4.2 dory with a sounder ,all i did to fix it to the seat beside me was to use mastic and for the cable to the transducer i ran a long bead of mastic and simply pushed the cable into it,easy and neat and if it ever has to come off a razor blade is all you will need. REGARDS The Doc

I have an old 3m tinnie and I launch the boat by hand from a trailer so did not want the sounder fixed permanently. I solved the problem by attaching the sounder to a piece of treated pine which I painted bright yellow to make it visible.

post-688-1137316630_thumb.jpg

I then attach the board to the back of the tinnie with a G clamp ($3.00 from go lo)

post-688-1137316757_thumb.jpgpost-688-1137316860_thumb.jpgpost-688-1137316885_thumb.jpg

I then have the sounder attach to the tinnie seat with stick on velcro.

I also put the sounder unit in a clip lock bag with 2 holes cut out for clamp and cables to connect this eliminates any salt H2O splash on the unit.

Cheers

Trev