More Sydney Kings

netic

One of my fav way's is to make up a simple marinade of crushed garlic (i crush it myself with salt and a knife, drag the knife blade over chopped galic cloves covered in salt, the salt absorges any garlic flavour, you'll notice the difference) some minced chilli and a couple of squeezed limes and the grated rind plus some olive oil and salt/pepper, cover the fish fillets in that mixture for a little bit and whack on the bbq pour the remander of the marinade on top of the cooking fillets, and turn once, because kingy is usually thick you can see how cooked they are, just wait until the cross section of the fillet is opaqe and shes cooked, it pays to have them just slightly under done and turn the bbq off as the residual heat in the fillet will cook it through perfectly! serve with lime wedges and chips or salad and you'll have a happy wife who lets you go fishing any time you want!

One of my fav way's is to make up a simple marinade of crushed garlic (i crush it myself with salt and a knife, drag the knife blade over chopped galic cloves covered in salt, the salt absorges any garlic flavour, you'll notice the difference) some minced chilli and a couple of squeezed limes and the grated rind plus some olive oil and salt/pepper, cover the fish fillets in that mixture for a little bit and whack on the bbq pour the remander of the marinade on top of the cooking fillets, and turn once, because kingy is usually thick you can see how cooked they are, just wait until the cross section of the fillet is opaqe and shes cooked, it pays to have them just slightly under done and turn the bbq off as the residual heat in the fillet will cook it through perfectly! serve with lime wedges and chips or salad and you'll have a happy wife who lets you go fishing any time you want!

Oh Gibbo that sounds unreal. I can't believe the amount of info I get off this site :thumbup: EVEN cooking hints. I gotta get some more females onto this lurk :1gathering:

mate, beleive it or not i don't eat fish, Can't stand the taste, thats why most of my fish get tagged and go straight back in unless a family member has requested a king or 2 for dinner.

I got 1 from Lady Jane, 2 from Cliffo and 4 from another spot which i cannot reveal, there is squid all over the harbour, all you got to do is keep an eye out for the weedbeds, where there is weedbeds there is squid.

mate, beleive it or not i don't eat fish, Can't stand the taste, thats why most of my fish get tagged and go straight back in unless a family member has requested a king or 2 for dinner.

I got 1 from Lady Jane, 2 from Cliffo and 4 from another spot which i cannot reveal, there is squid all over the harbour, all you got to do is keep an eye out for the weedbeds, where there is weedbeds there is squid.

GREAT fish mate once again

how do u spot weed beds? are any of these squid around bantry bay, middle harbour? or all past the spit??

and how do u jig them? with a big float or on a handline and what colours are you using??whats the retrieve method?

cheers

Edited by domza

GREAT fish mate once again

how do u spot weed beds? are any of these squid around bantry bay, middle harbour? or all past the spit??

and how do u jig them? with a big float or on a handline and what colours are you using??whats the retrieve method?

cheers

To spot the weed beds you have to go in close to the shore line and check in the water, there are plenty around the harbour.

I have never squidded in middle harbour but have heard that quite alot of squid can be caught there,

I use a very light outfit, light 2 kg rod with a small shimano slade 2500 on 8 lb line, i cast the jig out and slow retrive, occasionally jigging.

The most productive colours i have found is orange and pink

To spot the weed beds you have to go in close to the shore line and check in the water, there are plenty around the harbour.

I have never squidded in middle harbour but have heard that quite alot of squid can be caught there,

I use a very light outfit, light 2 kg rod with a small shimano slade 2500 on 8 lb line, i cast the jig out and slow retrive, occasionally jigging.

The most productive colours i have found is orange and pink

do you ever get any after 9am? I generally struggle but do get the odd one in the shade.....

do you ever get any after 9am? I generally struggle but do get the odd one in the shade.....

Up until around 2 months ago i always had the belief that squid were impossible to get after 9-10 am, Then one day me and a mate went out around 1.00pm and thought we should try our luck, we got 14 squid in less than an hour, and it has happened a few times since then, last week i caught 3 squid in 15 minutes at around 2.30pm.

Everytime i hit the water in the middle of the day now i seem to get better squid numbers, but squid are very inconsistent with their times.

There are times that i squid for an hour without a hit, then for 20 minutes i get 6 in a row, then they dissappear again. I have tried to work out a pattern, Tides, Winds, Barometric pressure and there is absolutely no consistency, so i have no clue why they come and go. All i can say is keep trying and be persisitant, everyone should have a few fav squid spots that they can rotate between if a certain areas are not working for them.

Squidding is hard to get right, but once you master it, it is very easy. And then just hold onto your rod once the kings hit.