New Season, New techniques

HawkesburyParadise

Started the new season with a bunch of new things:

- Salted Prawn

- New Okuma reel

- New braid

- New leader(or using for the first time)

A number of mid day sessions recently allowed me to catch juvenile fish for bait using size 12 hooks.

29/1: Bobbin head, midday, outgoing tide, catching two juvenile bream, released

1/09: Bobbin head, midday, high tide, catching two juveniles 1 bream 1 unknown, used unknown for bait, no catch

For me, Bobbin Head is a difficult area especially the picnic area so I'm not surprised I didn't catch a bigger fish using fresh bait. I'll try this technique in other places. 

Question - Can juvenile bream be used for bait? Or is it only certain species?

Edited by HawkesburyParadise
  • Like 2

Good to see you out giving it a go. The size 12 hooks will almost always increase your hookup rate when you are getting bites but no hookups.

Only legal fish can be used for bait. In NSW, this means juvenile bream cannot be used for bait. The DPI website has the relevant size limits, and if your scroll to the bottom, you will see bag limits for common bait species: https://www.dpi.nsw.gov.au/fishing/recreational/fishing-rules-and-regs/saltwater-bag-and-size-limits

• Like 5

13 minutes ago, Little_Flatty said:

Good to see you out giving it a go. The size 12 hooks will almost always increase your hookup rate when you are getting bites but no hookups.

Only legal fish can be used for bait. In NSW, this means juvenile bream cannot be used for bait. The DPI website has the relevant size limits, and if your scroll to the bottom, you will see bag limits for common bait species: https://www.dpi.nsw.gov.au/fishing/recreational/fishing-rules-and-regs/saltwater-bag-and-size-limits

Great thanks. Seems like Poddy Mullet can be used. I've seen a guy catch poddies using size 12 hook with bread. 

• Like 1