Alvey Surf Fishing Lures?

Frou

Hello everybody, I am new to fishraiderĀ  šŸ˜„

I'm looking to try a few lures in the surf, I live on the far south coast of NSW.

I have a Alvey C62S combo (6 inch alvey and light 12' surf rod) with 10lb line on it.

I'm happy to try for a variety of species, just wanting to experiment with something other than bait so the more options the better. What kind of lures should I look to get to target a large variety of species?

Mostly going to be casting from the shore, and might give casting into the surf from the headland rocks a go if the wind is up...

Ā 

Ā 

:fisher:

Welcome to Raider @Frou. Waza is on the money recommending a Halco Twisty. They are extremely popular with salmon and tailor fishermen, cast like a bullet and readily available for a good price.

Since the retrieve rate of an Alvey is quite slow compared to regular spin gear, another lure Iā€™d recommend is an ABU Toby or something of a similar design. The ā€œspoonā€ profile of these lures gets them working with a nice action at a much slower speed than most other metal lures.

Another tip you may already know, is to ensure you use a correct size, good quality swivel in your rig to prevent line twist. If fishing from the beach or rocky spots deep enough to allow, after casting let your lure sink for at least 10 or15 seconds on a slack line to allow the swivel to do itā€™s job. A swivel wonā€™t untwist your line if when thereā€™s any tension on it.

• Like 4

9 hours ago, wazatherfisherman said:

Halco Twisty (there are also cheaper versions of same lure)

Hi Waza, what versions are you referring to? I will give the halco twisty a go!

4 hours ago, Green Hornet said:

another lure Iā€™d recommend is an ABU Toby or something of a similar design.

Hi Greeen Hornet, I searched online for this one and I couldn't find many in Australia... looks like its a UK thing?

5 hours ago, Green Hornet said:

after casting let your lure sink for at least 10 or15 seconds on a slack line to allow the swivel to do itā€™s job. A swivel wonā€™t untwist your line if when thereā€™s any tension on it.

Thanks for the tip, I normally take weight off the swivel when I have retried the lure. Some of the rocky spots from the headlands I fish look like they are full of snags so I try to avoid them, I will make sure to do this when casting from the beach however!

:fishing1:

37 minutes ago, Frou said:

Hi Greeen Hornet, I searched online for this one and I couldn't find many in Australia... looks like its a UK thing?

Thanks for the tip, I normally take weight off the swivel when I have retried the lure. Some of the rocky spots from the headlands I fish look like they are full of snags so I try to avoid them, I will make sure to do this when casting from the beach however!

Yeah, I had a bit of a search and found the Toby hard to find here now as well. They are indeed a terrific lure, but postage from the UK can be painful. Sorry for the bum steer.

Another couple of lures that work well on a slower retrieve are the Surecatch Knight and the Jackson Gallop Longcast. The Longcast is a slow pitch jig and guys have been getting impressive results hopping them across a sand bottom like you would a soft plastic.

Regarding swivels, I donā€™t recommend them for bait fishing, but for chucking a lure off an Alvey, the smaller ball bearing swivels can help eliminate line twist. Just look after them and make sure they donā€™t clog up with sand. The smallest grain can lock them up.

• Like 4

22 hours ago, Frou said:

Hi Waza, what versions are you referring to? I will give the halco twisty a go!

Hi Frou if you have a look at the Halco version to see what it looks like, you will see copies/close similarities available on the net- same for Abu Toby's- I'll try and find a couple here and take a photo in the next couple of days

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...
On 9/5/2022 at 11:17 AM, wazatherfisherman said:

Hi Frou if you have a look at the Halco version to see what it looks like, you will see copies/close similarities available on the net- same for Abu Toby's- I'll try and find a couple here and take a photo in the next couple of days

Any luck?

@FrouĀ I have a few ABU Toby knockoffs that I bought cheaply years ago but I cannot for the life of me find them anymore. I swear they were easy to find a few years ago. That said, it seems you can now get the genuine item from overseas sellers (be prepared to pay a bit of postage).

Personally if they are that hard to find, I'd just buy metals available in Australia. I quite liked the Spanyid Maniac spoon which I think you could get working nicely on an Alvey outfit. But plenty more to choose from if you look around.

• Like 2

11 hours ago, Little_Flatty said:

@FrouĀ I have a few ABU Toby knockoffs that I bought cheaply years ago but I cannot for the life of me find them anymore. I swear they were easy to find a few years ago. That said, it seems you can now get the genuine item from overseas sellers (be prepared to pay a bit of postage).

Personally if they are that hard to find, I'd just buy metals available in Australia. I quite liked the Spanyid Maniac spoon which I think you could get working nicely on an Alvey outfit. But plenty more to choose from if you look around.

Iā€™m pretty sure I saw the Toby knockoffs being sold in a major department store, but that was quite some time ago.

Spanyid lures might be hard to find as well. If Iā€™m not mistaken, they stopped production a couple of years ago.

Edited by Green Hornet
  • Like 2