Lake Conjola questions

Gengar

Hi Raiders

With winter gone and spring in full swing, I am heading down to Lake Conjola with the kids during the school holiday in September/October. I have never been there before and unfortunately when I searched for past posts there were a limited number of posts and all pre 2014. Therefore, was hoping someone has more recent experience in that area. We normally pump nippers and fish landbased though we might hire a tinny from the post office to explore the lake. Also happy to drive round to better fishing spots if there are any.

(a) Any nippers in the Lake Conjola area? There seems to be some flats from google map but wanted to know if there are any particular areas we can find them.

(b) Any worms at Conjola Beach? We am yet catch a beachworm so if we can tick that off the bucket list that would be great.

(c) Any other tips/suggestions very welcomed!

Thanks all!

I haven’t fished the lake for quite some time now and when I did, I launched from the Bendalong/Cunjurong side and there was stacks of nippers on a large flat just upstream of the ramp, not far in from the entrance at Green Island.

My land based knowledge fishing the lake from the Conjola side is zero, but I do know there are plenty of worms on Conjola Beach and the north end is the favoured place to catch some as long as there’s not a big, south swell running. While down on the beach, take a rod with a metal lure or ganged hooks and a few pilchards. There’s some good salmon around at the moment.

Edited by Green Hornet
  • Like 3

3 hours ago, Green Hornet said:

I haven’t fished the lake for quite some time now and when I did, I launched from the Bendalong/Cunjurong side and there was stacks of nippers on a large flat just upstream of the ramp, not far in from the entrance at Green Island.

My land based knowledge fishing the lake from the Conjola side is zero, but I do know there are plenty of worms on Conjola Beach and the north end is the favoured place to catch some as long as there’s not a big, south swell running. While down on the beach, take a rod with a metal lure or ganged hooks and a few pilchards. There’s some good salmon around at the moment.

It would be definitely good if we can land a beachworm! We will definitely give it a go.

For the nippers do you mean this area I circled in red? Do you know if that areas is accessible by foot from the south (eg from the Conjola boat ramp)? 

image.thumb.png.6eac47414e8939f78dfc0c3ae4ad8a1f.png

19 minutes ago, Rebel said:

I used to go there heaps of times years ago. Was like a second home.

Whiting & Snapper were the go.

Have  a great holiday & good luck.

Cheers mate. Where do you find snappers? In the lake? I have only once caught a legal snapper once and wouldn't mind catching more of those! 

Conjola is like the dozens of other South Coast lakes, put in a bit of time and effort, do a bit of thinking and you will do OK, secret spots are not needed, what fished OK yesterday can be bare today.

Edited by noelm

13 hours ago, Gengar said:

It would be definitely good if we can land a beachworm! We will definitely give it a go.

For the nippers do you mean this area I circled in red? Do you know if that areas is accessible by foot from the south (eg from the Conjola boat ramp)? 

image.thumb.png.6eac47414e8939f78dfc0c3ae4ad8a1f.png

That’s the spot I mentioned, though if you want to access it from the Conjola side you’ll need a boat, kayak, paddle board or something similar. That pic is obviously fairly old and with all the rain/floods over the last 12 months, the entrance channel is much wider now.

• Like 1

On 9/13/2022 at 7:00 AM, Green Hornet said:

That’s the spot I mentioned, though if you want to access it from the Conjola side you’ll need a boat, kayak, paddle board or something similar. That pic is obviously fairly old and with all the rain/floods over the last 12 months, the entrance channel is much wider now.

Cheers thanks for heads up as I thought it might have been accessible by foot at low side. Looks like its gonna be a long drive but probably hire a kayak or something and do it that way.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Gengar said:

Cheers thanks for heads up as I thought it might have been accessible by foot at low side. Looks like its gonna be a long drive but probably hire a kayak or something and do it that way.

If you really want to get some nippers for bait and don’t want to hire some sort of watercraft. Take a drive down to Burrill Lake and pump some there. It’s only a 15 or 20 minute drive at the most.

30 minutes ago, Green Hornet said:

If you really want to get some nippers for bait and don’t want to hire some sort of watercraft. Take a drive down to Burrill Lake and pump some there. It’s only a 15 or 20 minute drive at the most.

Thanks for the suggestion mate. Really appreciate it!

Hi Gengar

I have fished lake conjola around these times there are nippers around just need to look around

We always found lots of whiting of different sizes caught from a boat  using prawns up the lake lots of fun have never used nippers no success with pilchards

Flathead can be found around the steps and bream also threw the lake

Have been there the last 6 years and never seen the hire boats out  you nead to check with the post office

The lake entrance has been open oround 2 yrs water is very clean

Good luck pretty spot to play in

• Like 1

On 9/15/2022 at 4:07 PM, miniken said:

Hi Gengar

I have fished lake conjola around these times there are nippers around just need to look around

We always found lots of whiting of different sizes caught from a boat  using prawns up the lake lots of fun have never used nippers no success with pilchards

Flathead can be found around the steps and bream also threw the lake

Have been there the last 6 years and never seen the hire boats out  you nead to check with the post office

The lake entrance has been open oround 2 yrs water is very clean

Good luck pretty spot to play in

Cheers Miniken thanks for the report! Looking forward to it!