Berowra 25/9/22

slothparade

Took the kayak out at around 10am unfortunately was running big time late. Got in the water and started making my way down to get live bait when part of the pedal drive snapped and my left pedal could only be left on the furtherest position, should have been a sign of worse to come. Was trolling a lure behind when the rod suddenly buckled and swung the kayak around and pulled a fair bit of line off before coming off, get the lure back and find the hook has been bent straight.  Then got to the place and first cast, some how the line came over the bail (yes it was originally under as I was using the rod a couple of days before) and now I had a giant mess of line. After a while of hooked legs and pants I sorted that out and got fishing and of course miss the only bite. So moved on to the next place where the reel started to play up again and the pedal drive was starting to become loose for some reason. Did get a couple of nice pics. Anyways with no live bait, had to revert to plan B with the fresh squid. Trolled the fresh squid behind the kayak on one rod and a pilchard on a flasher rig on the other. Got a decent bite on the flasher but didn't land. Then got to a bank and found the squid to be half gone.  Found a nice spot out of the current to go for bream and had some more food. Didn't get any bites. Then kept heading down until the line got tangled in dad's motor. So trying to deal with that in wind and current was fun especially when a boat whoes anchor broke and wasn't watching where they were drifting ran into us.  We eventually made it to the beach where we untangled the motor. We swapped kayaks for a bit of fun then the wind and current started to pick up. So started to TRY and head back to the boat ramp. Got off the beach and the pedal drive snapped in half, yes it completely snapped in the middle, I don't know how. Paddling against the wind and current was hard. But the worst part was when I was getting a tow and none of the boats listened to the no wash sign. As my rudder had broken I couldn't steer and being Towed and getting hit by wake I litterally almost flipped. The side of the kayak was almost all under the water. Of course dad's kayak with the hole for the wiring in the unsealed front watch filled with water which all went into the hull multiple times made for a very rocky and unpleasant trip back he almost flipped many times with I was continuously going around in circles because of the current and broken rudder. Atleast we got back to the boat ramp in one peace. That's when we saw the highlight of the day, my mates 'highly prized' car which is completely bent, leans over to the left side constantly so he's filled the right side up with bricks to even it out. IMG-20220925-WA0003.thumb.jpg.a10c820282dba166280f75909725e767.jpgIMG-20220925-WA0000.thumb.jpg.f9750fb16744726ea05ac608d7c35d53.jpgPXL_20220925_032518808.thumb.jpg.84783a9721fccc89ff5a747db6a275c1.jpg

• Like 5
  • Sad 1

4 hours ago, slothparade said:

Anyone know where I can get the pedal drive repaired? 

If it's metal bring it to me and I should be able to fix it for you.

If it's Plastic you would probably need to buy a replacement part.

Frank

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

14 hours ago, frankS said:

If it's metal bring it to me and I should be able to fix it for you.

If it's Plastic you would probably need to buy a replacement part.

Frank

Thanks for the offer, appreciate it, but unfortunately it's the spine (plastic) that has failed. 

42 minutes ago, Squidless said:

Woah, now that is an eventful day. Talk about perseverance to continue. I guess you need a bit of that when fishing.

Having the yak swing around on a bite would scare the daylights out of me. 

Definitely was, it's always nice to get outside though even though it was full of mishaps. 

The amount of trolling/drifting with rods in the back, I kind of got used to suddenly having a bit more resistance but definitely wasn't expecting to be swung around lol, shocked me a bit. 

• Like 1