Boat Upgrades

antonywardle

So one of the advantages for me in Covid lockdown times meant that I was able to work from home for nearly three years. This has saved me around $60 a week in train fares along with the price for lunch and coffees. I've not really gone anywhere so that money has sat in the bank and given me time to think about the what I'd like to do to  my boat to make it more comfortable.

Some things I've added. I got myself a new drogue after the little cheap one broke off. It seems that not all the straps are UV protected. This one was expensive, but for me, I think the quality and that it is aussie made sorta makes it one of the better things I've bought. Its from WA from a bloke call big fat snapper and works really well.

.PXL_20220922_060749654.thumb.jpg.2e4ab80b73e15646be919f2494f77754.jpg

I've been offshore a few times, and always got wet or had to worry about the sun, so I finally bit the bullet and got a custom made windscreen and roof from a guy in western Sydney.

He powder coated everything and even put in a deck light. I'm loving that I don't get anywhere near as wet anymore. I'm still deciding whether to get clears but for now, I'm back to saving up.

PXL_20220921_224849960.jpg.428604f607631d1bae6306053a1bb082.jpg

What do you always want when you are fishing? Its a nice hot pie right? I got a 12v oven and a LiFePo battery and so far its worked a treat. The cost of the oven and battery means that the pies are working out at more than $50 each ATM, but that is slowly coming down. I think @kiwicraig enjoyed his pie on the last trip out! It was hard to tell because he was complaining about it being too hot 🙂 

PXL_20220921_224830629.thumb.jpg.2e3377112c079918a109781069bba219.jpg

When I had my windscreen done, I also got an under-floor fuel tank added and a live bait tank, and I've been happy with both. Its freed up my deck so I have a lot of room.

\PXL_20220921_224839913.jpg.6e807508e51b179f5cf5558db30e6056.jpg

Currently I'm installing zipwakes, as I get a lot of lean when travelling. I'm not sure if the aero-dynamics of the boat change with the windscreen or the balance with the tank made a difference. I can usually get it not too bad by moving my big eskys around but sometimes I only have a small esky and it doesn't make any difference. The zipwakes aren't hooked up yet. Only got them on last week. I found a local guy to do some welding for me and I'm happy with him. I'll have to do something about the bait tank pick up as it didn't work on the weekend. Not sure if I got some sealant blocking it or the wakes create turbulence, but I couldn't fill the tank even when I was sat still. It worked on a hose when I got home. Same issue for my transducer, but when I checked it, it was loose so I'm still deciding about that. I'll post an update after I retest it. These are the 450S models for those that like to know things like this.

PXL_20220921_223911425.jpg.f66b403917646b87ac21a09ae331321d.jpg

I also bought some cheap EVA foam flooring. I guess I'll have to see how it goes. It didn't appear to be all that sticky. Do you think I should go all the way to the sides?

PXL_20220922_055832974.thumb.jpg.3216bde168922182fa90b1495a0136d9.jpg

So that's about where I'm at now. I got some seats off @kiwicraigso I'll try and put them in next. I guess I'd have done better buying a boat that was more "finished" right at the start, but I didn't have the $$$. I'm really happy with my boat and I've not got seasick the last four times out. I did wonder if the motion changed, or the lack of fishing, or if the windscreen meant that I was getting two-stoke hanging around a bit more, but for now I'm not too worried about replacing the ETEC.

PXL_20220921_225728738.jpg.49acf9fb17aece9c43576e53d053182c.jpg

If you made it this far, thanks for reading. I'll update when I get the zipwake installation completed. If you see me out on the water, give me a wave.

One last thing, the first thing I did get was a Lonestar GX2. I love it!

Edited by antonywardle
spelling and picture delete
  • Like 9
  • Thanks 1

Re livebait pickup.  Looks too high to me, is pump underwater or are you relying on pump sucking water up through pickup tube?  If you want pickup to work underway the bent tube needs to be pointed forward with tube just below the hull surface.  I use 2 seperate hoses for pump and pickup.   Pump is mounted on hull near bottom of hull and scoop is on a slide so I can lift tube above hull surface on the rare cases I launch from beach.  I also have a plastic inline gate tap on pickup hose or tank will always be filled when underway.  If this doesn't make sense let me know and I will take a photo.  Ron 

• Like 1

When you are on the plane the whole transom will be out of the water.  Have a look at other boats on the plane and you will have an idea of what happens. 

As an example of what happens, if you get a lot of water in your boat it is possible to take your bung out when on the plane and the water will drain out but the bung has to be put back when on the plane.   Ron 

• Like 1

You’ve certainly done a lot of work -  love the hard top 👍

As @camprsaid the live tank pickup is too high. When running at planing speed or close too, the water leaves the stern below the zipwake blade as per the attached picture. 

cheers Z

image.thumb.png.71ccce82915abf80a437f6236da0b8f1.png

Edited by zmk1962
Correcting Auto-correct
  • Like 1