Trout around Canberra

Isaac Ct

4 hours ago, Green Hornet said:

Not actually at Canberra, but on the way you could stop and have a throw at Pejar Dam, just outside of Goulburn. There’s plenty of trout in there and good info on the web.

Have to agree with this advice fished Pejar years ago and it had heaps of trout 

• Like 2

14 hours ago, Isaac Ct said:

Hi raiders, my mum and I where thinking of heading down to Canberra to target some trout. Any help on spots and gear would help.

Cheers, Isaac 

@Isaac CtTrout are becoming increasingly difficult to find around here now. There are some nice little trout streams just out of Canberra towards Cotter Dam (you're not allowed to fish in the dam btw). Cotter River between the dam wall and junction of Murrumbidgee River does hold some trout (and Redfin unfortunately). Paddys River nearby holds a small population of small trout too. You may be lucky in the murrumbidgee but more likely to encounter Carp or a Murray Cod possibly. Gudgenby River which is a fair bit furher out along the Naas and Tidbinbilla Rd may hold some small trout still. The local lakes in Canberra (particularly LBG) used to have good populations of trout, but you'd be lucky now to score one...plenty of Carp, Murray Cod & Yellowbelly though.

Molonglo River could still hold some trout in various spots, but again plenty of Carp etc

Failing all that, maybe a trip up to Eucumbene Dam may be a better option. Its about 2 hours from Canberra.

Hope this helps you somewhat.

cheers

• Like 2

Hey Isaac,

I've read Canberra was a good trout fishery about 40 years ago. Canberrans now drive out of the ACT to chase trout. I'm not saying Canberra is a bad place for a fisho ... excellent native fishing and a day trip is feasible for the South Coast or Snowy Mountains.

You would have more luck with trout in the Southern Highlands or Pejar, or better still go the whole hog and hit the Snowies. If you have your heart set on it there are still trout in the Brindies in the ACT. It helps if you know your way around and have a 4wd. Two of the most popular areas are the Cotter River above Condor Creek and Flea Creek. Both require a fair drive on fire trails (wet at the moment). As with anywhere you can drive right to the water they cop a bit of fishing pressure. 

GG

• Like 3

11 hours ago, Ganguddy Goodoo said:

Hey Isaac,

I've read Canberra was a good trout fishery about 40 years ago. Canberrans now drive out of the ACT to chase trout. I'm not saying Canberra is a bad place for a fisho ... excellent native fishing and a day trip is feasible for the South Coast or Snowy Mountains.

You would have more luck with trout in the Southern Highlands or Pejar, or better still go the whole hog and hit the Snowies. If you have your heart set on it there are still trout in the Brindies in the ACT. It helps if you know your way around and have a 4wd. Two of the most popular areas are the Cotter River above Condor Creek and Flea Creek. Both require a fair drive on fire trails (wet at the moment). As with anywhere you can drive right to the water they cop a bit of fishing pressure. 

GG

@Ganguddy Goodoo Canberra is certainly not as good a trout fishery as it used to be, but most places are unfortunately like that nowadays with increased fishing pressure and sadly Carp and Redfin in a lot of our waterways. I have lived in Canberra for around 60 years and fished everywhere around here for that period. As I advised @Isaac Ctin my reply trout are harder to locate, but there are still plenty of streams where you can find them still. You are correct re Cotter River and Flea Creek, but as you rightly pointed out, they do require a drive on tracks that are wet . And even though Isaac never commented back on my advice, I assumed that he didnt want to venture too far out of the area.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Mullatt said:

@Ganguddy Goodoo Canberra is certainly not as good a trout fishery as it used to be, but most places are unfortunately like that nowadays with increased fishing pressure and sadly Carp and Redfin in a lot of our waterways. I have lived in Canberra for around 60 years and fished everywhere around here for that period. As I advised @Isaac Ctin my reply trout are harder to locate, but there are still plenty of streams where you can find them still. You are correct re Cotter River and Flea Creek, but as you rightly pointed out, they do require a drive on tracks that are wet . And even though Isaac never commented back on my advice, I assumed that he didnt want to venture too far out of the area.

Sorry that it came across that way, it would be hard for us to access the spots mentioned as we have a car that is not fit for the off road tracks. I will look into the places with easier access but still an element of remoteness to them.

13 hours ago, Isaac Ct said:

Sorry that it came across that way, it would be hard for us to access the spots mentioned as we have a car that is not fit for the off road tracks. I will look into the places with easier access but still an element of remoteness to them.

@Isaac Ct no probs. A lot of the places that I mentioned in my original reply are relatively close to the city and are accessible by bitumen roads. Cotter and Paddys River near the Cotter Dam wall are only 20 minutes out of the city.

• Like 1