Intro To Fly Fishing

AlbertW

Hey Raiders,

I've been very interested in fly fishing and after getting a pretty good pay check from selling misc things around the house I have $500 budget to buy a fly rod. I know that I will need the flies, wellies or waders, flies and line and leaders for fly fishing but I'm not sure if my 500 dollar budget will cover everything so I'm here looking for recommendations. I have been looking at entry level combos on <removed> but I still want to know everything about it before I fully invest into fly fishing. Any info on gear or fly fishing is very much appreciated as even though I have done my research I'm still relatively clueless.

Cheers,

Albert

Edited by Little_Flatty
Retailer removed

Oh shoot sorry I accidentally deleted that part, I will be fishing mostly freshwater for trout in more accessible areas such as larger rivers and lakes in the Blue mountains and New Zealand if I get a chance to go back every year or two. I might also fish saltwater flies but I haven't looked at saltwater fly fishing much.

3 hours ago, Little_Flatty said:

Albert,

I’d be gobsmacked if @DerekD hasn’t contacted you already 😁 He will help you. I have a feeling your budget will cover the essentials.

I am on the same journey but not interested in trout at this stage. Just focusing on the species I already know how to lure.

Mike

I'm surprised @AlbertW hadn't asked me about it to start with. Probably because we hadn't discussed it in our previous lessons.

Albert I think we need to chat....

• Like 2

Hi Albert,

I suggest you look at some sort of cross over outfit (stainless guides) in probably a 4 piece and 7 weight (floating line) in 9 foot. It is a little overgunned for the Australian trout (you can also downsize the leader and tippet to suit) but probably pretty good for the NZ ones. What you will be able to do is chase many of the saltwater species here in Sydney to keep yourself in practice when casting. I've also caught carp in the Hunter Valley and bass in Manly dam on my 7 weight outfit. A few years ago I started to branch out into luderick on fly.

Read: