1.30 Meter Kayak Jewfish (19 October '22)

kingfish101

Launched the kayak from Berowra Waters boat ramp at first light and followed the tried and tested plan. One and a half hours to catch 5 big mullet on a light float rig in Joe Crafts Bay followed by the long paddle to the Hawkesbury River for the tail end of the ebb and the slack to try and convert the mullet into something bigger.

There was more commercial fishing activity on the water than usual with 2 prawn trawlers working from Bar Island to Coba Point and 3 smaller work boats setting and retrieving traps in Berowra Creek. The water was still a milk chocolate colour with run off from the recent rains both in the creek and in the main river.

Fished a new location in the Hawkesbury which I'd identified on a previous outing as a likely spot. Good current and (lots) of rocks running down and into the water some of which were exposed and awash at the bottom of the tide. For 2 hours the only action was the loss of 3 sets of terminal tackle and 3 prime mullet baits on underwater snags.

I fish with the butt of my rod under my right knee and over my left leg which places the rod more or less at right angles to the kayak and keeps my hands free to use the paddle. Just when I was beginning to conclude the area was a folly the end of the rod bent over into the water and under the kayak. The first run went wide and was really hard and fast. Then a change of heart and back to the rocks and all those line cutting snags. This was a fish that didn't know when he was beat and the fight lasted for the best part of 30 minutes much of which was in water of less than 5 meters. I was very lucky not to get cut off.

A good quality razor sharp gaff is a must for these big fish and the point went home in the corner of the mouth first attempt.

This fish was hooked right on low water slack, in less than 5 meters of water, with a double 9/0 hook rig, a 30LB mono trace one meter long and a 60 gram running bean sinker. A 5 meter long 30LB mono leader and 40 LB braid main line.

The jewfish weighed 19KG's after it was gutted and bled.

There has been a lot of very big jewfish caught in the Hawkesbury River this year and the Victorian Fisheries Authority Newsletter(No.4) may give an insight. Different area but the same logic where following a study they equate feeding and growth rate to high fresh water flows in a river system.

P1010687.JPG

P1010693.JPG

• Like 15

Another fantastic capture @kingfish101! Out of curiosity, is there a reason for using a kayak as your choice of craft? Is it for the challenge, the silent approach, the exercise or all combinations of those things?

Love your fish cooling solution! Having a fish that size would introduce all manner of logistical issues with keeping it fresh and would require a bit of innovation like you have done.