Taking lures as carry on

Flickking

I’ve personally never dared to take hooks, lures or even fishing line as carry on. It doesn’t take much imagination to see how the airline might think that any of these items as potential weapons and confiscate them. Much less stress just checking it in.

I’ve never had problems with checking gear in, as long as you pack your gear well and have a decent rod tube. That said, I’ve mostly traveled with travel rods. You might need to check with the airline if rods are long, but judging by the number of surfboards I see in over size luggage, you probably won’t have a problem.

Worst case, gear is readily available in Port Stephens.

1 hour ago, Flickking said:

Hi everyone I’m going to port stephens in a couple of weeks and planning to bring my fishing gear and target some squid. Does anyone know the rules on taking squid jigs/fishing gear onto flights as they’re sharp?

Hey @Flickking I've had a little bit of experience with bringing fishing gear on planes, I don't know if all the rules are the same as the flight I took was to new zealand so take this with a grain of salt. Generally rods and reels are fine when stowed away or if the reel has no line I think it's fine. There is a rule on most airlines where you can't bring fishing line as carry on because they consider it a weapon. I would recommend putting your rods inside your suitcase if they're small enough or get a hard rod tube as mentioned by Little Flatty reels should be fine in the suitcase as well. For lures I think if the hooks are moderate in size (maybe don't bring big circle hooks) you would be fine to bring them stowed away in your suitcase. Squid jigs should also be fine but check your airlines website and maybe give them a ring and ask a few questions. Most of all good luck on your trip and I hope you catch some big squid!

• Like 3

4 hours ago, bessell1955 said:

I just wonder how the rods will be treated when loaded and unloaded?  I have had past experience where my suitcase looked like it had done 13 rounds with Mike Tyson!

If making your own rod tube from PVC pipe, make sure you use 100mm diameter, sewer pipe, as its thicker and far stronger than 90mm storm water pipe.

The only trade off is its heavier, but not too much.

• Like 1

I've taken a 2.2m rod tube on many domestic flights, jetstar and virgin haven't had a problem, I do pack the rods in with bubble wrap

I was quizzed about fishing line in carry on baggage as it's considered a potential weapon as opposed to a decent headphone cord which is fine

I always make sure my reels are well wrapped in my suitcase

For my upcoming international flights it'll be travel rods all the way in PVC pipe packed in my suitcase