BIG RED!!

Larkin

1 hour ago, Rock&Beach said:

Well done on the PB snapper. It is the same size as the one that I caught a few years ago off the rocks. 

Still remember how I felt about that. 

Thanks Rock & Beach!

Off the rocks - even better! Bet you were cheering!

For me the other half the fun of fishing is in the eating! 

Grilled skin on snapper fillet with a parsley/herb/garlic rub, side of leaf salad - honey mustard dressing, crispy chips and home made tartare.

8 thick portions were made out of the fish.
And a bonus - two good sized cheek medallions!

BD63E5FF-9756-4FB5-A659-F980312CC455.thumb.jpeg.a1fd2262989d5dd49e5c6d73461c9586.jpeg

• Like 8

3 hours ago, GoingFishing said:

Awesome work mate. well done. that is a cracking red off the yak

Thanks @GoingFishing!

been getting some lately in the 50’s and 60’s, super happy to finally get one in the 80’s

hard to tell from the photo, Im fishing off a JetSki. 👍

Edited by Larkin

• 2 weeks later...
2 hours ago, Ali2196 said:

Cracking snapper Larkin, there’s honestly no better feeling than hooking onto a good red and getting them head shakes, solid effort right there 👍

Thanks Mate!

Been chasing them for months - getting decent sized fish in the 50’s and 60’s … but finally cracked the 80’s. Its been a good run on the reds this year!

• Like 1

1 hour ago, zmk1962 said:

Well done. Awesome catch - the vid just brings the fishy tale to life. 
cheers Zoran

ps - sorry about the pun

Was going to leave the sound on for full effect, but going from a low (snapping my other rod a few minutes earlier) to a high in 15mins had me throwing out a few expletives.😂

• Haha 1

40 minutes ago, wazatherfisherman said:

Great video! I reckon you're going to need a bigger landing net soon!

You’re not wrong!
When I got home, realised the net stem had snapped! Ended up having to buy a new one.

• Like 1

A great report and a cracking snapper Chris. I have had a few half hearted attempts to catch a snapper in that area but no success. This has inspired me to try a bit harder. Do you just look for bait on the sounder and fish around/under it, have some specific marks or just drift around reefy areas and take pot luck? I have the marks for some reefs close in around there (Maccas, Red Rooster to name a couple) that I have tried. Have you tried fishing in the washes down along the coast a bit further too? 

On 11/26/2022 at 3:59 PM, Tarik said:

last time i was there i caught nothing but small flathead.. and it was just sand.. very interesting

Hi Tarik, im fishing the edges of the reef where there are underwater ledges/drop offs together with baitfish above.

12 hours ago, adkel53 said:

A great report and a cracking snapper Chris. I have had a few half hearted attempts to catch a snapper in that area but no success. This has inspired me to try a bit harder. Do you just look for bait on the sounder and fish around/under it, have some specific marks or just drift around reefy areas and take pot luck? I have the marks for some reefs close in around there (Maccas, Red Rooster to name a couple) that I have tried. Have you tried fishing in the washes down along the coast a bit further too? 

Thanks Arthur!

I look for specific structure. For this im using navonics with the “relief shading” overlay on an iPad mini that I have mounted. This shows all the bottom structure in detail. I’m looking for underwater ledges and structure with drop offs onto sand/gravel, generally along the edges of the reef. Secondly I’m looking for baitfish over one of these spots on the sounder - if you find those two things then these are the areas to try. 

I’ve used a few different colours of SP but I seem to really only get them on pearl white. Not sure if it’s because they prefer this colour or because I’m using this colour the most due to past successes. I’ll cast out into the baitfish and let the plastic waft down through the bait ball while I’m drifting - I believe they hang around under these baitfish waiting for scraps or an easy meal.

Quiet locations with less boat traffic seem to do better or fish weekdays.

I haven’t fished the washes down further since last year - and that was with bait. But I know a few washes that should hold snapper - places where I’ve caught pannies on bait in the past - but would now like to try with SP’s. 

On 11/28/2022 at 10:20 PM, Larkin said:

Thanks Arthur!

I look for specific structure. For this im using navonics with the “relief shading” overlay on an iPad mini that I have mounted. This shows all the bottom structure in detail. I’m looking for underwater ledges and structure with drop offs onto sand/gravel, generally along the edges of the reef. Secondly I’m looking for baitfish over one of these spots on the sounder - if you find those two things then these are the areas to try. 

I’ve used a few different colours of SP but I seem to really only get them on pearl white. Not sure if it’s because they prefer this colour or because I’m using this colour the most due to past successes. I’ll cast out into the baitfish and let the plastic waft down through the bait ball while I’m drifting - I believe they hang around under these baitfish waiting for scraps or an easy meal.

Quiet locations with less boat traffic seem to do better or fish weekdays.

I haven’t fished the washes down further since last year - and that was with bait. But I know a few washes that should hold snapper - places where I’ve caught pannies on bait in the past - but would now like to try with SP’s. 

Thanks Chris. Great information for others to put into use. I haven't used Navionics much

but have it on my iphone. Possibly screen a bit small so will try it on the ipad we have. I will need to re-activate my subscription to get the overlays you mentioned.

Some of the washes further south drop quite quickly into 20 meters of water. I often find nice bonito in close around them in autumn/winter. They should be good ones to target reds with plastics early in the morning or late in the day. Any good wash is probably worth a throw though.

Back in the 1980s I used to target reds off the rocks on the south side Jervis Bay. I didn't catch heaps but did land a 4.5 kg one and a 5.5 kg one on successive days at two different locations one summer. I still remember them like it was yesterday! Early starts and spectacular sunrises were the norm.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...